Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 5, 2019 11:21 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

pitching seven effective innings to

PHOENIX -- A night after playing one of the longest games in team history, the Cleveland Indians needed Corey Kluber to pitch deep into the game to protect their depleted bullpen. Jachai Polite Womens Jersey . Kluber did, though it had nothing to do with necessity. He tries to do that every time he takes the mound. Kluber gave Cleveland a much-needed quality start, pitching seven effective innings to help the Indians beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 6-1 on Wednesday to end a four-game losing streak. The Indians ran through their bullpen in a 14-inning game the night before Kluber (7-5) gave them a lift with another strong interleague effort, allowing four hits while striking out eight. "Obviously, we played a long game last night, but I dont think I put any more pressure on myself to go deep in the game as I normally would," Kluber said. "Thats what Im trying to do every game, go as deep as I can." Early run support helped. Michael Brantley homered and had two RBIs against Chase Anderson (5-3), sending the rookie to his third straight loss after opening his career with five consecutive wins. Yan Gomes also homered for Cleveland, and Michael Bourn had a pair of triples among his three hits. Jason Kipnis also had two doubles for the Indians, who had 10 hits. "We didnt score in bunches, but scored one and then we scored two," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "We kept after it. I thought we had good at-bats throughout the lineup." Both teams needed their starters to go deep into the game after Tuesday nights marathon. Arizona won 9-8 on Aaron Hills single in the 14th inning after both teams emptied their bullpens in a game that lasted 5 hours, 32 minutes, matching the longest game in Chase Field history. Clevelands bullpen had pitched 20 of the 41 1-3 innings in the previous four games, so the Indians really needed a good outing from Kluber. And he delivered. After giving up a pair of hits to start the first inning, Kluber limited Arizonas chances, allowing one runner to reach second base over the next six innings. Kluber improved to 6-0 with a 2.28 ERA in six career interleague starts. He also lined a single to left in the fourth inning for his first career hit. Arizona finished with five hits -- none after the third inning until Miguel Monteros run-scoring single with two outs in the ninth. "Kluber is pretty good," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "We havent seen him. He has really good stuff. A real live arm. He has some deception in his delivery." Anderson ate up a few innings, though wasnt nearly as effective. After losing his past two starts despite pitching well -- four earned runs in 11 innings -- the right-hander wasnt nearly as sharp against the Indians. Anderson gave up a run in the first inning on Asdrubal Cabreras sacrifice fly, and Gomes homered in the second. Brantley had a run-scoring groundout in the third inning and put Cleveland up 4-0 with a solo homer to right in the fifth. Anderson allowed seven hits and walked three in five innings. "I knew I had to try to get deeper in the game because the bullpen was spent," Anderson said. "Just didnt do my job tonight." Kipnis and Lonnie Chisenhall each had run-scoring hits off Zeke Spruill in the seventh inning to put the Indians up 6-0. NOTES: Indians ace Justin Masterson will have his start on Sunday pushed back due to a sore right knee. He will be shut down for two days before throwing a bullpen to see how hes feeling. ... Arizona had stolen eight straight bases before Ender Inciarte was thrown out at third in the third inning. He was initially called safe, but it was overturned after a review. ... Arizona has a day off before RHP Brandon McCarthy pitches in a road game against San Diego on Friday. The Indians also have a day off before RHP Trevor Bauer starts the opener of a three-game series at Seattle. Keyshawn Johnson Jersey . The injury could land Machado on the 15-day disabled list, but its not as serious as it looked on Monday night, when the third baseman crumpled in a heap at the plate after taking an awkward swing in a game against the New York Yankees. Wesley Walker Jets Jersey . The Toronto Argonauts running back hurt his left ankle during the teams practice Friday afternoon at Rogers Centre.ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - The downshifting of Denvers high-octane offence doesnt mean the Broncos wont put our foot on the gas and throw it 50 times, insists coach John Fox.So, the San Diego Chargers had better buckle up and get ready this week for either a gouging ground game or a return to the aerial fireworks.At the end of the day its all about Ws, said running back C.J. Anderson, whose legs are getting much more of a workout lately than Peyton Mannings right arm.The buzz surrounding the Broncos (10-3) a month ago was that they were throwing the ball too much. Now the teeter-totter has gone the other way, and theres concern that their run-heavy offence has gotten Manning out of rhythm.The hurry-up has become the huddle-up, and more often than not, the five-time MVP is turning around and handing the ball off rather than chucking it down the field.Over the last three weeks, Manning has handed off 102 times and thrown it 89 times, completing 59 of those.In Denvers 24-17 win over Buffalo on Sunday, Manning didnt throw any touchdown passes for the first time in his 49 games as a Bronco. He had two interceptions and his passer rating of 56.9 was his lowest since Nov. 30, 2008, at Cincinnati, when it was a paltry 46.8.Concerned Broncos fans and flustered fantasy football owners are debating whether this shift is a concession to age — Manning is 38 — or a fundamental change in Denvers drive to return to the Super Bowl.Fox gave an emphatic answer Monday.Let me just say that I cant think of another quarterback that Id rather have than Peyton Manning, Fox said. We remind everybody that whether its two weeks, three weeks, at the end of the day were not done with our body of work yet. Were just trying to win games. Weve been blessed to win three in a row.Well lean on whatever we have to lean on. Were just trying to be efficient at both, Fox said. Unless something else is created, youre either running it or youre throwing it. I think were going to do whats necessary to win football games. It just so happens over the last few weeeks weve leaned a little more on one side. Trevon Wesco Jets Jersey. But as long as its effective, thats what helps you win games.So, Fox said, theres nothing wrong with Manning or the passing game — save for the Thomases hobbled by sore ankles.Julius Thomas has missed almost a month and Demaryius Thomas caught just two passes for 11 yards Sunday, his lowest output since he had 10 yards against Detroit in 2011 when Tim Tebow was his quarterback.Our passing game is fine, Fox said. You never know, we might put our foot on the gas and throw it 50 times. I cant really predict whats going to happen because a lot of its based on what our opponent does in matchups. There (also) have been injuries that have had something to do with it.Those affect the Broncos blueprints, he said.So, theres nothing wrong with our passing game. Weve just run it a little bit more over the last few weeks — just like there was nothing wrong with our run game when people were blowing fuses on that, Fox said. We just happened to be throwing it more. So, our goal is to be efficient at both.Manning admitted getting away from the pass-heavy offence has been a little bit of an adjustment, and its had a big impact on his production.Sunday marked just the 10th time in his 276 career starts that Manning threw 20 or fewer passes, and almost all the others were games in which he made only a cameo appearance or gave way to his backup for mop-up duty.Only one other time has he played the entire game and thrown fewer passes: he had 17 throws, including three touchdowns, in a 35-3 win over Tennessee on Dec. 4, 2005.Denvers defenders are pleased to see this new no-frills offence because that usually means theyre on the field a lot less.We like our rest, nose tackle Terrance Knighton said. I mean, on the sideline I love watching Peyton throw the ball, D.T., Emmanuel Sanders, I love all of them catching touchdowns. But then again, run the ball maybe once or twice more just to give us a break.___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel