Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 5, 2019 11:21 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

town tonight to take on the Senators (10-12

The day Ottawa Senators fans circled on their calendar on July 5 has finally arrived. Doug Flutie Womens Jersey . Daniel Alfredsson and the Detroit Red Wings (13-7-7) are in town tonight to take on the Senators (10-12-4.) This is Alfredssons first time playing in Ottawa since leaving the place he called home for 17 seasons as a free agent in the summer. You can catch all of the action live on TSN with coverage beginning at 5pm et/2pm pt. At age 40, Alfredsson returns in the midst of a fine first season in the Motor City. He has six goals and 13 assists in 22 games in on pace for a 66-point campaign. The team plans to play a video tribute to their former captain on the scoreboard prior the game. "Well recognize what Daniel has done in Ottawa and what he means to our fans," Senators owner Eugene Melnyk told Ottawa sports radio station TSN 1200 Wednesday. "Theres no question were going to honour him and make sure that everybody is behind him." Media attention has been strong this weekend and Alfredsson spoke on Saturday about his feelings surrounding the game. "Its a division rival and theyve handed it to us pretty good two times (this season)," said Alfredsson. "Obviously coming back to Ottawa, playing the first game, Im sure it will be emotional. Im not sure how I will react but I think it will be a special night." His return sparks memories of the turmoil surrounding his departure last summer. "We all were pretty adamant that he was going to return because he is grounded in this city and so well-loved that everyone figured something would work out," Senators defenceman Marc Methot told the Ottawa Sun upon the signing. Some of that love from Senators fans has since dissipated and Alfredsson can expect a mixed reception when he takes the ice at the Canadian Tire Centre. This wont be the first time that Alfredsson has done battle with his former mates, though. He was held without a point in Detroit when the teams met on Oct. 23, but was forced to sit out with a groin strain for their second meeting exactly one month later. Back in August, Alfredsson explained his motivation to depart Ottawa and play another season when he initially had planned to retire. "In late June this year, I decided I had it in me to play one more season," Alfredsson said on August 15. "I told management I was willing to return and I reminded them of our agreement from the year before." That agreement, according to Alfredsson, was that he would be compensated for taking less money in the final year of his previous deal in order to help Ottawas cap number come down. By agreeing to a salary of $1 million in the last year of that deal, his average salary dropped to $4.8 million from the $6.1 million where it would have been because of his decision to retire. When he decided to play another year, negotiations with the Senators, Alfredsson said, "went nowhere." The Red Wings came calling and Alfredsson was more than willing to listen. "I was delighted by their enthusiasm and by their belief in how they saw me fitting into their plans," he said of the Red Wings in August. "So that call opened my eyes to a possibility I had never thought of — to play another year, maybe even two, with another great team." The repercussions of that decision will be fully felt tonight. Jonas Gustavsson will likely get the start in net for the Red Wings. His counterpart in the Ottawa goal will be Robin Lehner. Kellen Winslow Youth Jersey . CSKA received the heavier punishment of playing its next European home game behind closed doors, after its supporters displayed racist and far-right symbols in the Czech Republic during a 2-1 loss to Viktoria Plzen on Dec. Jerry Tillery Womens Jersey . The Jets have now won three straight at home and four of the last five at the MTS Centre. After a scoreless first period, Brad Marchand scored his first goal in eight games eight seconds into the second.KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Serena Williams beat Maria Sharapova for the 15th consecutive time, rallying in both sets for a 6-4, 6-3 victory in the Sony Open semifinals on Thursday. Williams, seeking a record seventh Key Biscayne title, improved to 16-2 against Sharapova and hasnt lost to her favourite foil since 2004. "I have always felt when Im playing at my best, then its hard for people to beat me," Williams said. Rafael Nadal could say the same. He advanced to the semifinals by hitting a flurry of forehand winners down the stretch to beat Milos Raonic 4-6, 6-2, 6-4. On Saturday, the No. 1-ranked Williams will try for a record seventh Key Biscayne title against No. 2 Li Na, who overcame 40 unforced errors to beat Dominika Cibulkova 7-5, 2-6, 6-3. Williams is 10-1 against Li. No. 7-seeded Tomas Berdych advanced to Fridays semifinals, beating Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine 6-4, 7-6 (3). Berdych was the Key Biscayne runner-up in 2010. The No. 1-ranked Nadal, who is 0-3 in Key Biscayne finals, needs one more win to get there again. His opponent Friday night will be No. 7-seeded Tomas Berdych, who advanced by beating No. 22 Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-4, 7-6 (3). Nadal has beaten Berdych 16 times in a row over the past seven years. "This tournament is a tournament where I really feel the love of the people so much," Nadal said, "so Im going to try my best to keep playing well." Three-time champion Novak Djokovic will play in the other semifinal Friday against No. 20-seeded Kei Nishikori, who eliminated Roger Federer on Wednesday. The No. 1-ranked Williams won with a superior serve and better returns. She hit nine aces and broke five times, helping her rebound from deficits of 4-1 in the first set and 2-0 in the second. Williams earned hher 14th consecutive victory against a top-10 player. Mike Williams Jersey. Her opponent in Saturdays final will be either Australian Open champion Li Na or Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia. Williams first won Key Biscayne in 2002 and is the defending champion. She has worn Miami Dolphins orange and turquoise throughout the tournament and considers it her home event because she lives 90 minutes up the road. "When I grew up I always wanted to play here," she said. "I guess I just dont want to let go. Its my favourite stop on the tour. Its home. All my friends come. So its perfect for me." There was no evidence of a home-court advantage at the start, when Williams failed to convert four early break-point chances and fell behind. Sharapova cracked a succession of winners from the baseline and earned applause from Williams after besting her in one exchange. But Williams broke back when Sharapova committed three consecutive backhand errors, and gained momentum from there, sweeping the final five games of the first set. The story was similar in the second set, and after falling behind, Williams resorted to her dominating power. She quickly won one game with two aces and two service winners during a period when she swept 11 consecutive points. Sharapova committed groundstroke errors on the final three points, and a victorious Williams trotted to the net, her left fist leading the way. She has more victories against Sharapova than against any other opponent. "Despite my results against her, I still look forward to playing against her because you learn so much from that type of level which she produces," Sharapova said. "You finish the match, and you know where you need to improve and the things that you need to work on." ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel