Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 8, 2019 11:26 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

seasons he spent as a head coach

TORONTO - If it was up to Bobby Orr, Don Cherry would be in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Ilkay Gundogan Germany Jersey . The former star defenceman writes in his new autobiography, "Orr: My Story," that Cherry deserves to be inducted in the builder category for his standing in the sport that goes beyond the one NHL game he played and six seasons he spent as a head coach. "His stature within the hockey community is significant and meaningful, and his importance is as great as that of any player, past or present," Orr writes as part of an entire chapter devoted to his former coach and longtime close friend. Cherry coached Orr for parts of two seasons with the Boston Bruins, and the two have remained close over the years. The Hall of Famer knows its impossible for him to remain objective about Cherry but sincerely believes the "Hockey Night in Canada" personality should get his due. "Is there anyone bigger than Don Cherry in our game today? Its incredible what this man does," Orr said in an interview with The Canadian Press. "People have no idea. They think Dons this big rough, gruff guy. Hes paid to give an opinion. Like him or dislike him, when he comes on, everybody, they listen." Orr writes about Cherrys visit to his grandmothers house in Parry Sound, Ont., in which the woman in her 90s said to him: "I like you, because youre the only one who always tells the truth." Beyond his eccentric wardrobe, Cherrys charitable contributions and his work with Canadian troops also went into Orrs argument for his Hall of Fame induction. "You have no idea how many emails that I get from Don about send something to this person, that person," he said. "He does a lot of work that people dont know anything about, and he doesnt advertise it." Cherry never won a Stanley Cup as a coach but did get a Jack Adams Trophy as coach of the year. As a player he won a Memorial Cup with the Barrie Flyers in 1953 and four Calder Cups in the AHL. But more than that, the case for the Hall of Fame has to do with Cherrys controversial yet respected voice when it comes to all things hockey. The attributes for those inducted as builders include "coaching, managerial or executive ability, where applicable, or any other significant off-ice skill or role, sportsmanship, character and their contribution to their organizations and to the game of hockey in general." Orr believes Cherry fits that description. "Given his long-standing and continuing contributions to the game, both home and abroad, he is more than worthy of nomination into the Hockey Hall of Fame," Orr writes. "And I can tell you, I will most definitely be in the audience that evening when this oversight is corrected." Mats Hummels Germany Jersey . -- Pelicans coach Monty Williams does not expect guard Eric Gordon to play in any of New Orleans final five games this season. Marc-Andre ter Stegen Germany Jersey . Viewers in the Canadiens region can watch the game on TSN Canadiens at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt. The game can also be heard on TSN Radio Montreal 690. The Calgary Flames will see if they can take their recent hot streak on the road when they shoot for a sixth consecutive win Monday night in Montreal.WILLIAMSBURG, Va. -- Lizette Salas didnt have to wait long to be tested in her latest attempt at a breakthrough victory on the LPGA Tour. The challenge came on the first hole Sunday in the Kingsmill Championship, after she was overly cautious with her first putt, leaving it nearly 10 feet short of the cup with a sliding, downhill test to save par. She made it, the start of a day when she did little wrong on her way to a four-shot victory. "Yeah, that was a big putt just to start off the day," Salas said. "Downhill slider to the right. I mean, I even threw in a fist pump because I knew how important that was for me mentally and on a confidence standpoint." The 24-year-old Salas made it look easy the rest of the way, even while shooting just an even-par 71 on the River Course. Salas started the day with a three-shot lead, doubled it with birdies on the par-5 third and par-3 fifth. A bogey on the par-4 eighth was her only hiccup -- and only her third bogey in four rounds -- until she three-putted the par-3 17th. She finished at 13-under 271 and earned $195,000. Yani Tseng, Kraft Nabisco winner Lexi Thompson and Sarah Jane Smith tied for second. Salas was never really challenged in the final round on the River Course, and when her final putt fell on the 18th hole, she cupped her head in her hands and covered her face in celebration. Her winning moment was quickly interrupted, however, when four fellow players arrived and doused her with champagne, water and wine. The victory came after Salas flirted with victory several times in her three years on tour. It also came after she missed the cut two weeks ago and realized she needed to change her mental approach to give herself a fighting chance. "I felt like I wanted to be perfect all the time," she said. "I felt like I needed to play like a top tier golfer every week. Thats not it. Its about feeling confident. Golf is a sport where you cant control everything. ... I just took a step back and looked at golf differently. I just tried to have fun this week. That was the most important thing." This year, she tied for third in the season-opening event in the Bahamas and shared the lead after three rounds in the Kia Classic in her home staate of California, but Anna Nordqvist closed with a 5-under 67 -- to Salas 70 -- to win by one. Mesut Ozil Jersey. Last year, playing alongside winner Inbee Park in the final group of the Kraft Nabisco, Salas shot 79 to tie for 25th. Two weeks later, Salas lost a playoff to Suzann Pettersen in the LPGA LOTTE in Hawaii. Salas chunked her approach into the water on the first extra hole after closing with a tournament-record 62. The daughter of Mexican immigrants, Salas was introduced to the game when her father, the head mechanic at Azusa Greens west of Los Angeles, did some handyman jobs for the club pro and, instead of pay, asked him to teach his daughter to play. She went on to star at Southern California, where she was a four-time All-America selection and helped the Trojans win the 2008 NCAA title. The victory came on a rare weekend when her parents didnt come to the tournament, but watched from their home in California, and it brought tears to the eyes of Hall of Famer Nancy Lopez, who has been a mentor of sorts for Salas. "Im crying. Im so proud of her," Lopez said by telephone after watching the celebration on the green. "She looked great out there, just very confident and swinging great. ... Like she said on TV, she was ready. It was time." Salas expects "some tears of happiness" when she sees her parents Monday. Tseng, seeking her first victory since 2012, got within three with three birdies in a four-hole stretch on the back nine, but she finished with two pars and a double bogey for a 69, expanding Salas lead to five shots. Thompson had a 69, and Smith shot 66 -- the best round of the day. Tseng nearly made it very interesting at the par-5 15th, but her eagle putt stopped just short of the cup. "One more roll it will be in," she said. "I know if I make that I have a good chance." The tournament also featured a golf rarity, a double eagle. It was scored by Frenchwoman Joanna Klatten on No. 15. Klatten said her drive left her a perfect distance away for her 3-wood, and she had a feeling something great was coming. "Its intuition. I had a good feeling about that shot," she said. "Of course there is a little bit of luck in that." ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel