Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 20, 2018 9:45 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

gay remarks leading up to the

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver is continuing his outreach to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community more than a year after his anti-gay remarks leading up to the Super Bowl. Cheap West Virginia Jerseys Authentic . The San Francisco Bay Times announced Thursday that Culliver conducted his first interview with an LGBT media outlet, sharing how he changed his thinking. Culliver, who missed the 2013 season because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee sustained during training camp, underwent sensitivity training and began doing other outreach work. Culliver has worked with "The Trevor Project," an organization that provides crisis and suicide intervention to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth. "I truly appreciate the staff at the Trevor Project for allowing me to grow and educating me on the issues affecting the LGBTQ community," Culliver said Thursday in a statement to The Associated Press. "I have learned so much and made some really great friends. I will continue my commitment to the organization and to their youths and stand firm with hope that one day that all individuals regardless of sex, race, or creed will be treated with dignity and respect from all." During Super Bowl media day in 2013 at the Superdome in New Orleans, Culliver responded to questions from comedian Artie Lange by saying he wouldnt welcome a gay player in the locker room. He also said the 49ers didnt have any homosexual players and, if they did, those players should leave. He later apologized, facing a large group of Super Bowl media members for nearly an hour. "Chris has grown immensely from his words and has committed to continue to grow as a human, particularly around matters around the LGBTQ community," his publicist, Theodore Palmer, said Thursday. "He believes that every individual has a right to love the way they choose to love and celebrate the differences of others on a daily basis." In fact, Culliver told the Bay Times he hopes to work on a project with University of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, who would become the NFLs first openly gay player. Culliver also applauded Nets centre Jason Collins, who became the first openly gay NBA player last month. "I applaud Michael and Jason for their courage," Culliver told the Bay Times. "I have absolutely no problem playing and interacting with someone from the LGBTQ community and look forward to connecting with Michael soon on some projects." The 25-year-old Culliver, a third-round draft pick in 2011 out of South Carolina, made 47 tackles with two interceptions and a forced fumble during the 2012 season while starting six games for the Niners. They lost in the Super Bowl that season to Baltimore. The San Francisco Bay Times, in its 36th year of publication, defines itself as the oldest fully LGBT-owned and funded newspaper in the Bay Area. It was the first newspaper in California, and among the first in the world, to be produced jointly and equally by gay men and lesbians. Wholesale West Virginia Jerseys . Hes the same player he always was, only now his efforts are being rewarded. The rookie manager has made a habit of heaping praise on others when things are going well, and accepting criticism when they arent.  But in the case of Hurtado, its what the coach is NOT saying that may be the secret to a superb run of form. Stedman Bailey College Jersey . As analysts we do the same thing, so here are some observations from week one. First there were two major upsets. I should say, major upsets in the eyes of the fans and prognosticators.MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun is scheduled to have surgery this week to fix a nagging nerve problem near his right thumb.The injury contributed to Braun having one of the least productive full seasons of his career. He went hitless in three at-bats in Sundays 5-2 loss to the Chicago Cubs to finish the year hitting .266 with 19 homers and 81 RBIs in 580 plate appearances.Braun said Sunday the rare procedure involved going into the thumb and freezing the nerve. The problem, which carried over from the 2013 season, affected his swing.Brauns subpar production was one key reason the Brewers were 9-22 down the stretch to get eliminated from the post-season after spending five months atop the National League Central.If I was relatively healthy, if I was performing up to the standard I set for myself that wed be in a different place as a team. It makes it that much more difficult for me personally to accept the way the season went, Braun said.Neither Braun nor manager Ron Roenicke knew much about the specifics of the procedure or recovery time. But Braun remained hopeful it would finally fix a lingering issue.The whole reason we hadnt done it sooner was because there isnt a lot of experience in doing this specific surgery that Im getting done, he said.The 2011 NL MVP missed the final 65 games of last season after being suspended as part of the Biogeneis doping scandal.But the extra time off didnt help. The career .307 hitter was at .301 on July 26 but tailed off the last two months of the season.I dont think we were that far off. If we get back to that, we still have a really nice player, Roenicke said before Sundays loss. But we do need to get back to that. ... I think he feels like if he can get this thumb issue behind him, he can be that same player again.Braun will certainly be back. Its unclear how much of a housecleaning there might be in the off-season though after the late-season swoon.Its been a hard year. It has. Its been the hardest since Ive been here, said fourth-year manager Roenicke.Milwaukee finished in third place in the division at 82-80, out oof the playoffs for the third straight year. Tavon Austin College Jersey. On Sunday, Anthony Rizzo had a two-run homer among his three hits to lead the Cubs. Rizzo went deep to centre off Mike Fiers (6-5) in the first.Jacob Turner (6-11) allowed four hits and two runs in five-plus innings. He beat Milwaukee for the second time since being traded from Miami in August.The Cubs are building for the future with Rizzo and rookie right-handed hitters Javier Baez and Jorge Soler. Chicago was 31-28 since July 28.Theres always optimism and now you can see it around everywhere. We each got to keep the course, though, Rizzo said.THE .300 MANAll-Star catcher Jonathan Lucroy, playing first base, went 2 for 4 to finish the year hitting .300. Roenicke started him at first in the finale hoping he could reach the .300 plateau. Lucroy over the weekend set the single-season record for most doubles by a catcher with 46.I mean its great and dandy but for me it doesnt really matter right now, Lucroy said, because Im still going to go home and be (mad) for a month until I calm a little bit from the way its been the past month.BREWER FINALE?Second baseman Rickie Weeks didnt play in what may well have been his last game with the Brewers, who are unlikely to pick up his option next year. The right-hander spent the season in a platoon with young left-handed hitter Scooter Gennett. Weeks was drafted second overall by Milwaukee in 2003.TRAINERS ROOMCubs: Three players finished the season on the disabled list. OFs Justin Ruggiano (left foot) and Ryan Sweeney (hamstring) have been sidelined since late August. RHP James McDonald spent the whole season sidelined with shoulder inflammation.UP NEXTCubs: Stocked with promising prospects, Chicago finished 73-89 for the year, seven wins better than 2013.Brewers: When asked before the game, Roenicke said it was uncomfortable not knowing about his immediate future. GM Doug Melvin said this weekend that the fates of Roenicke and the coaching staff had not been decided. Roenicke is under contract through next season.___Follow Genaro Armas at http://twitter.com/GArmasAP Authentic Nike Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Tennessee Titans Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Washington Redskins Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Arizona Cardinals Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Denver Broncos Jerseys CheapAuthentic Nike Green Bay Packers Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Los Angeles Chargers Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike New England Patriots Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Oakland Raiders Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Seattle Seahawks Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Carolina Panthers Jerseys Cheap Authentic Nike Cleveland Browns Jerseys Cheap Cheap Throwback Baseball Arizona Diamondbacks Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Atlanta Braves Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Baltimore Orioles Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Boston Red Sox Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Chicago Cubs Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Chicago White Sox Jerseys Cheap Throwback Baseball Cincinnati Reds JerseysCheap Throwback Baseball Cleveland Indians Jerseys ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel