Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 1, 2020 9:18 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

training camp. He and

MONTREAL -- Benoit Groulx says it will take more than flashy statistics to ensure a spot on Canadas junior hockey team. Ronnie Lott Super Bowl Jersey . The Gatineau Olympiques head coach will lead Canada in its quest to end its gold medal drought at the 2015 world junior hockey championship held in Montreal and Toronto at the end of this year. As Groulx begins naming players to his roster over the next two weeks, he wants to look beyond goals and assists when sending out invitations to training camp. He and the rest of the coaching staff are looking to reinvent the selection process that has proved unsuccessful in the last tournaments. "Recent history has shown us that being a hundred-point guy on a first line is no longer enough at the Juniors," Groulx said from Montreal on Thursday, after Hockey Canada introduced him as the teams head coach. "Our players have to raise their game. These are players who will one day be in the National Hockey League. They have the talent, but can they elevate their play? "Thats the message were sending. The level weve competed at these last few years simply wasnt enough." Canada is suffering through a five-year gold medal drought at the tournament after winning five consecutive years between 2005 and 2009. The teams last medal, a bronze, came in 2012. Groulx was an assistant coach at the 2014 junior championship in Malmo, Sweden, where Canada finished fourth after losing to Russia in the bronze-medal game. The 46-year-old says only elite players can challenge for the top of the podium. "We need guys who are self-driven, who are relentless, guys who want to make the difference," said the Hull, Que., native. "We need hundred-point players who are ready to make changes, ready to play out of their comfort zones. To win that championship, you need world-class players." Canada has 11 players eligible to return from last years squad, including goalie Zachary Fucale and forwards Jonathan Drouin, Curtis Lazar and NHL prospect Sam Reinhart. The teams one-week development camp begins Aug. 9 in Montreal. The Canadians will also host an exhibition tournament involving the Russian and Czech national junior teams which will be held in Montreal and Sherbrooke, Que. The goal is to keep competitiveness high as the world junior championship approaches. "Those are two great countries, two teams that we lost to last year," said Hockey Canadas Scott Salmond. "Any time you can bring those teams back in a competitive environment, and send a message to them, its great. Its not a summer camp, its a competition, and we want to play there to win." After the exhibition games, Canada opens the 11-day tournament on Dec. 26 with a group game against Slovakia in Montreal. Canada will play its four round-robin matches at Montreals Bell Centre. The Canadians are in Group A with the United States, Finland, Slovakia and Germany. Toronto will welcome teams from Group B, which includes Russia, Denmark, the Czech Republic, Sweden, and Switzerland. The gold-medal game will take place at the Air Canada Centre on Jan. 5. Groulx wouldnt guarantee Canada would make it to the ACC for that final, but he is relishing the opportunity to play in front of the home crowd. Incidentally, Groulx would have coached a national junior team on home soil in 2009 had he not resigned. After initially accepting Hockey Canadas invitation, he later took a head coach position with the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League. Groulx says theres no changing course this time around. "Montreal and Toronto are two of the most passionate sports cities in Canada, and even in North America," he said. "Its a huge challenge that I look forward to. Pressure will be good for us. Whens theres pressure like that, people are very aware of it. Playing in Montreal and Toronto forces us to prepare adequately. "People in Canada expect us to win. For us, thats the ultimate. But our focus is on the process more than anything else." Notes: With 15 gold medals, Canada is the most successful country in the competitions 38-year history. a Dave Lowry (Victoria Royals of the Western Hockey League) and Scott Walker (Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League) will be Groulxs assistant coaches. a Finland won last years tournament, beating Sweden in the final game. a Groulx took the Gatineau Olympiques to three Memorial Cup appearances, in 2003, 2004 and 2008. ... Hockey Canada also named the coaching staff for Canadas under-18 team. Head coach Derek Laxdal will be joined by assistants Jody Hull and Eric Veilleux. Fred Warner Super Bowl Jersey . Mike Trout, Josh Hamilton and Kole Calhoun all homered to help the Los Angeles Angels get their first win of the season with an 11-1 rout of the Houston Astros. KWaun Williams Super Bowl Jersey .com) - Coming off a pair of tough losses last week, the Syracuse Orange will try to put an end to their first losing skid of the season when they pay a visit to the Maryland Terrapins at the Comcast Center on Monday night in Atlantic Coast Conference action.VANCOUVER -- Vancouver Whitecaps head coach Carl Robinson says a deal to sell disgruntled striker Camilo Sanvezzo to a Mexican club has yet to be finalized. Despite reports out of Mexico on Wednesday that the transfer with Queretaro F.C. had been completed, Robinson says there are still details that need to be ironed out. "Were still working on it to find a solution at this moment," Robinson said on a conference call from Philadelphia ahead of Thursdays Major League Soccer SuperDraft. Sanvezzo has been practising with Queretaro for the last two weeks and was even pictured wearing the clubs kit, despite the fact that he had the option on his MLS contract picked by the Whitecaps for the 2014 season in November. Robinson, who was named Whitecaps head coach last month, said he travelled to Mexico to meet face to face with Sanvezzo to try to resolve the crisis. "He put a few views across to me and I made my points clear to him about where I stood as the head coach of this organization, as well as where the club stood," said Robinson. "There were a few words that maybe were higher decibels than others, but I think it was important that conversation happened." The 25-year-old Sanvezzo was last seasons MLS Golden Boot winner after scoring 22 goals but there was a clear disconnect between the Whitecaps and the player, resulting in what haas become a messy divorce. Joe Staley Super Bowl Jersey. "I was very surprised to see my player with a Queretaro kit on," said Robinson. "I dont think theres any manager in the world that wouldnt be surprised and disappointed." Sanvezzo joined Vancouver in 2011, scoring 39 goals in 92 league games, including 75 starts. The Whitecaps scored 53 times in 2013, with Sanvezzo setting up or scoring 28 of those goals. He made US$247,500 last season, third highest on the team, but a number that was not even a quarter of fellow striker Kenny Millers salary of nearly $1.25 million. Robinson reiterated a point made by Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi last week that Sanvezzos agent has been feeding his client misinformation. He would not say what reasons Sanvezzo gave for wanting to force his way out of Vancouver. The impending loss of the teams top scorer is a major blow to Robinson, who replaced the fired Martin Rennie last month. It creates an obvious hole up front on a team that missed the playoffs last season, but the spectacular departure is also a nightmare from a public relations perspective. "Were at a stage now where we need to try and do what is right for myself and my team moving forward into next year," Robinson said. The Whitecaps will get two-thirds of whatever transfer fee Sanvezzo fetches, while the MLS pockets the rest. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel