Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 1, 2020 9:18 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

n his past six starts, a stret

BUFFALO, N. Dwight Clark Super Bowl Jersey .Y. - All of a sudden, goalie Jhonas Enroth and the Buffalo Sabres arent the pushovers they were to start the season.After sweeping a two-game series against the then-NHL leading Montreal Canadiens last weekend, the Sabres put the clamps on the high-scoring Tampa Bay Lightning.Enroth stopped 26 shots through overtime and then two more in the shootout in securing a 2-1 victory Tuesday night.Obviously, the confidence is a little bit higher now, Enroth said. We beat a couple of great teams the last couple of games, so we know we can beat every team in the league.Enroth improved to 5-1 in his past six starts, a stretch in which hes allowed just nine goals.Zemgus Girgensons forced overtime by chipping in a rebound with 3:54 remaining, a little more than six minutes after Tampa Bays Ondrej Palat opened the scoring. And then Buffalos Cody Hodgson — with a backhander — and Tyler Ennis — with a snap shot just inside the left post — scored on their shootout chances.Buffalo (9-14-2) improved to 6-1 in its last seven, a stretch that began after the team opened the season 3-13-2.Part of getting better is that resiliency, to keep going and keep going, coach Ted Nolan said.The Lightning (17-6-3), coming off a 6-3 win over the New York Rangers on Monday night, entered the game leading the NHL with 90 goals and tied for the league lead with 36 points.They instead started flat by mustering just two shots in the first period. And they lacked finish in the shootout in having a four-game winning streak snapped.Palat was stopped on Tampa Bays first attempt, when he attempted to slip the puck through Enroths legs. Ryan Callahan had his snap shot turned aside by Enroths blocker.I thought we played well enough to win the hockey game and we didnt, Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. They score that goal with, what, 4 minutes left? That probably doesnt happen, either.The teams meet again at Tampa Bay on Thursday.This one turned with a pair of momentum shifts in the final 10 minutes of the third period.Palats goal came on a nifty passing play that began with Nikita Kucherovs no-look pass to Tyler Johnson streaking up the right wing. Driving deep into the corner, Johnson fed the puck into the middle, where Palat stuffed it in.The Sabres finally cashed in following a pair of chances, with Girgensons tying goal coming with 3:54 left.Following a faceoff to the right of the net, the Sabres worked the puck to Tyler Myers at the blue line, where he rifled a rising shot on goal. Evgeni Nabokov made the initial save but was unable to control the rebound. The puck bounced to Girgensons, who flipped it over an off-balance Nabokov, who was falling backward.Honestly, I thought I had it because it hit my ribs, and thats why I was leaning back, said Nabokov, who made 21 saves. I thought I had it. And then I saw the puck fly out. So thats when I needed longer arms, I guess.Girgensons goal came immediately after Nabokov made a big stop on Brian Flynn, who was set up alone in front by Brian Gionta.Lightning captain Steven Stamkos nearly settled it with 5 seconds left in regulation. Rounding into the left circle, Stamkos snapped a shot through a crowd and hit the far post. The puck caromed back off Enroths shoulder and fell into the crease, where the goalie smothered it.NOTES: Sabres D Josh Gorges played after missing seven games with a knee injury. ... Lightning rookie LW Jonathan Drouin, with one assist in his past seven games, was a healthy scratch. ... Girgensons is the surprise leader in the NHL All-Star game fan vote with 399,356, nearly double that of Pittsburghs Sidney Crosby (218,672). Girgensons, a second-year player, has credited the surge to fans clicking away online back home in Latvia. The only limit applied by the NHL is that fans can vote only 10 times a day. ... Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli sat among NHL scouts in the press box. C. J. Beathard Super Bowl Jersey . And thats good news for Canada. Kelly, who plays No. 8 at the back of the scrum, is captain of the Canadian womens team. Patrick Willis Super Bowl Jersey . Bjoerndalen, who had failed to win any major race for two years before Sochi, writes in a Facebook entry that he is "full of energy and inspiration" after winning the 10-kilometre sprint and mixed relay at last months Olympics.HOUSTON -- Before leaving for a seven-game trip last on July 18, the Miami Marlins had won just once in their previous seven games. What a difference a week made. Garrett Jones and Marcell Ozuna homered to lead the Marlins over the Houston Astros 4-2 Sunday to complete a three game sweep and a 6-1 trip. Its the first time theyve ever swept in Houston and was their first series sweep since beating the Rays in consecutive two-game series from June 2-5. "It feels good that we were able to come in here and not have a letdown after a great series in Atlanta," Miami manager Mike Redmond said. "I think thats probably the biggest thing. We did what we needed to do to win, and thats a good feeling out there right now." Jones homer capped a three-run first for the Marlins, and Ozuna padded the lead with his solo shot in the sixth. "It was huge to get this last win and head home and confidence is high," Jones said. "Weve got the Nationals coming in so its going to be a big next few games. It was good to have a good road trip and just take that confidence going back home and continue playing good baseball." Jacob Turner (4-6) allowed one run and six hits in 5 2-3 innings to win his second start since moving from the bullpen. "I really just felt like I had to battle all day, didnt have my best stuff," Turner said. "But at the same time made some pitches when I needed to, got out of jams and that was huge." Steve Cishek allowed one run in the ninth before getting his 26th save in 29 chances. Houstons Collin McHugh (4-9), back from a disabled list stint caused by a finger blister, made his first start since July 6 and gave up four runs and seven hits 6 1-3 innings with nine strikeouts for his sixth straight loss. "When you start talking ... (records) for a starting pitcher, a lot of things have to go righht," manager Bo Porter said. Garrett Celek Super Bowl Jersey. "You can pitch well and still not factor into the decision. Weve got to score runs. Thats pretty much the difference in the game." Jose Altuve hit a leadoff homer, and Jon Singleton had a solo drive in the ninth for the Astros, who have lost five in a row and eight of 10. Altuve homered and singled twice for his second straight three-hit game and 18th this year. He leads the major leagues with a .344 average and 148 hits, and he also swiped his AL-best 42nd base. Miamis Giancarlo Stanton struck out four times and has fanned in six straight at-bats. Christian Yelich hit a leadoff single and scored on a triple by Jordany Valdespin, who came home on Casey McGehees sacrifice fly. Jones made it 3-0 with his 11th homer, a drive about five rows into the eight-field stands. Altuves second leadoff homer of the season and third of his career cut the lead to 3-1 in the bottom half. Ozuna extended the lead to 4-1 with a sixth-inning homer into the Crawford Boxes in left. Singletons ninth-inning homer off Cishek was his first since July 7 and stopped an 0 for 11 skid. "Its been a while since I hit a ball hard," said Singleton, who is hitting just .178. "Its always nice when you can hit a ball like. Hopefully we can pick up some momentum from what happened (Sunday). NOTES: RHP Mark Appel, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 amateur draft, has been promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi from Class A Lancaster, where he was 2-5 with a 9.74 ERA in 12 starts. ... The Astros recalled RHP Paul Clemens from Triple-A Oklahoma City before the game. ... Brett Oberholtzer is scheduled to pitch for Houston on Monday, when the Astros open a three-game series with Oakland. ... The Marlins return home to start a three-game series against Washington with Nathan Eovaldi pitching. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel