Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 26, 2020 8:55 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

d was substituted in

TORONTO -- Toronto FC will be without the heart of its defence as well as star striker Jermain Defoe and possibly midfielder Jonathan Osorio for Saturdays game in Columbus against the unbeaten Crew. Marcedes Lewis Super Bowl Jersey . Captain Steven Caldwell is suspended while fellow centre back Doneil Henry has been sidelined by a twisted knee suffered in last weekends 3-0 loss at Real Salt Lake City. Defoe, who has all three of Torontos goals this season, strained his left hamstring last week and was substituted in the 61st minute. "Not a major thing but definitely unavailable this weekend," Toronto manager Ryan Nelsen said earlier in the week. Osorio, who missed last weeks game with a hamstring injury, "probably wont make it as well," Nelsen said after practice Friday. It looks like rookie Nick Hagglund, a 21-year-old Cincinnati native, will start at centre back Saturday. He impressed during the pre-season when he was pressed into emergency action at right fullback due to injuries elsewhere on the roster. Gale Agbossoumonde, Bradley Orr and Ryan Richter can also play in the centre of defence. Left fulback Justin Morrow has also played at centre back but a hip injury to backup fullback Ashtone Morgan has taken away some of Nelsens flexibility at the back. Canadian Kyle Bekker may step in for Osorio in central midfield alongside American international Michael Bradley. Nelsen did not say who would wear the captains armband in Caldwells absence but it will likely be Bradley, coming off an impressive showing in Wednesdays 2-2 tie in Glendale, Ariz., between the U.S. and Mexico. Bradley scored one goal and set up another. Toronto and the Columbus Crew are both off to their best starts in MLS history. But Columbus (3-0-0) is unbeaten while Toronto (2-1-0) is coming off a loss and is hurting. Caldwell was suspended for one game and fined an undisclosed amount by the leagues disciplinary committee for a studs-up tackle on Real Salt Lake midfielder Ned Grabavoy last week. The Toronto skipper was yellow-carded on the play. "Very disappointed with my 1 match ban," Caldwell said via Twitter. "Never tackled to hurt someone in my life. Sorry I wont be out there Saturday to help the lads." Toronto will get Brazilian midfielder Jackson back from a one-game suspension for an elbow thrown off the ball in the win over D.C. United. And Brazilian goalkeeper Julio Cesar has recovered from a knock to the knee from a goalmouth collision in Salt Lake. Toronto will have to watch Argentine attacker Federico Higuain, who has three goals (two from the penalty spot) and has been involved in five of the Crews seven goals this season. Columbus showed its resilience last week in Seattle when it won 2-1 on a 94th-minute goal by Justin Meram -- with an assist from Higuain -- that snapped the Sounders 51-match unbeaten run when they score the first goal. Toronto, meanwhile, got a reality check in a 3-0 loss at Real Salt Lake City after opening the season with victories over Seattle and D.C. United. Nelsen says he is not surprised by Columbus fast start out of the gate. "Not at all. A lot of their players are good MLS players that have been around. Gregg (Berhalter) is a really good coach and hes got them going really good ... There hasnt been a hell of a lot of turnover there, especially in the main positions. Hes done really well." Berhalter took over as the Crews seventh head coach -- and first sporting director -- last November after two seasons at the helm of Swedish club Hammarby IF. As a player, the defender spent 18 seasons in the Netherlands, England, Germany and the U.S., winning 44 caps for the American national team. Toronto has New Zealand midfielder Tim Payne, currently on Blackburns books, in camp on trial. NOTES -- The Crew have lost to Toronto FC just twice in 19 meetings all-time and lead the Trillium Cup rivalry (10-2-7). Columbus is 7-1-2 against Toronto at home. Torontos 2-1 home win over the Crew last July was the first since a 4-2 victory in September 2011 in Columbus, which ended a 12-game TFC winless run against Columbus ... Crew defensive midfielder Tony Tchani played 12 games for Toronto in 2011 before being traded to Columbus for Andy Iro and Leandre Griffit. JK Scott Super Bowl Jersey . According to Tony Barrett of The Times, the Liverpool captain is set to announce that he will leave the club at the end of the 2014-15 season. Raven Greene Super Bowl Jersey . LA (SportsNetwork.CARLSBAD, Calif. -- Dori Carter might have gotten a bit ahead of herself late in the second round of the Kia Classic. She still left everyone else behind Friday. After birdieing six of the first seven holes on the back nine, Carter bogeyed the final two holes for an 8-under 64. The round was her lowest in competition and broke the Aviara course record. Winless on the LPGA Tour, the former University of Mississippi player had 11 birdies and three bogeys. At 10-under 134, she had a two-stroke lead over Stacy Lewis and Cristie Kerr. "No matter what happens this weekend, I cant believe Im here," Carter said. "This is my first time. I mean, this is an experience for me. Its kind of like I cant lose. ... I have no reason to be uptight or anything because this is my first time. Im OK with that. Im OK with feeling like no matter what happens." She didnt fret about the closing bogeys. "Im not even going to sweat that the rest of the day," Carter said. "Im just so happy right now just to be here in this spot. ... My puttings always been my issue. Today, obviously, putting was fine. So, thats a big confidence boost for me." She tied for 68th in the season-opening event in the Bahamas and tied for 28th in the Womens Australian Open, then played three Symetra Tour events. Last week, she failed to Monday qualify for the Phoenix event, flew to Florida for the Symetra Tour event, then made another cross-country trip to California. "Thats my life," Carter said." From Valdosta, Ga., Carter made a 35-foot putt on the par-3 third hole for her first birdie, holed a couple of 20-footers, hit close on some holes and holed out from the fringe on the par-4 15th. "Kind of a fluke," Carter said about her birdie on 15. "The pin was sitting on this little knob on the front left of the green and I hit it in the rough and I had to kind of roll it up to the front. I got my putter, my caddie and I just said, Why dont you just putt it. I was probably like 10 yards short of the green and rolled it all the way in. It bent in the hole. ... Billy Turner Super Bowl Jersey. . That was like, I cant believe this." Lewis shot 66, and Kerr had a 68. The third-ranked Lewis had seven birdies and a bogey. She tied for second last week in Phoenix, her fifth runner-up finish since winning the Womens British Open last year. "It was just a really solid day," Lewis said. "Again, hit the ball really good like I did yesterday and, just the greens were so much better this morning. I mean it was a couple of shots difference, I think, playing in the morning versus the afternoon. Just played a little bit smarter, got on the right side of holes and just hit a lot of good shots." She noticed Carters low round. "I was surprised actually to see the number she shot," Lewis said. "Its very impressive. You know, its a hard golf course. You can make a double pretty quick." Kerr holed out for eagle on the par-4 first -- her 10th hole of the round -- and had three birdies and a bogey. "Couldnt see it go in, unfortunately, but it was a great 7-iron, perfect club," Kerr said. "I just said, Get close, and it went in." She won the Kingsmill Championship last year for her 16th LPGA Tour title. Former Southern California player Lizette Salas was 7 under after a 68. "I have my fans out here this week," Salas said. "Ive been just so blessed to have the support from my family and my community. Im just out here having fun." Karrie Webb, coming off a victory Sunday in Phoenix in the JTBC Founders Cup, rebounded from an opening 75 with a 68 to move into a tie for 26th at 1 under. The 39-year-old Hall of Famer also won the Womens Australian Open last month. Kia endorser Michelle Wie also was 1 under after a 71. DIVOTS: Beatriz Recari, a playoff winner last year, missed the cut by a stroke with rounds of 71 and 76. ... Yani Tseng was tied for 22nd at 2 under after her second straight 71. She won the 2012 tournament for the last of her 15 tour titles and has dropped from first to 46th in the world in a year. ... Sixteen-year-old Lydia Ko also was 2 under after a 68. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel