Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 25, 2020 7:31 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

mper late in regulation f

Tucson, AZ (SportsNetwork. Dexter Williams Super Bowl Jersey .com) - Arizonas winning streak at McKale Center survived a stiff test from Gonzaga, as the third-ranked Wildcats stole a 66-63 win in overtime from the No. 9 Bulldogs in a battle of unbeatens. These programs matched up in the NCAA Tournament in March, and Saturdays top-10 showdown oozed that madness feel, albeit with a pro-Arizona crowd on hand. The Wildcats (8-0) trailed most of the day, but a Brandon Ashley jumper late in regulation forced overtime. T.J. McConnell scored six of his 12 points in the extra session, and Arizona won its 26th straight on its home floor. We could have lost just as easily as we won, Arizona head coach Sean Miller said. We just had individual players step up and make big plays to push us over the top. Gonzaga (7-1) committed five turnovers in OT but still had a chance to pull even after Elliott Pitts fouled Byron Wesley shooting a 3-pointer with 3.3 seconds remaining. Wesley, though, airballed his first attempt and missed the next two to end the Bulldogs chance at an upset. Ashley finished with 14 points, while Stanley Johnson and Kaleb Tarczewski netted 11 apiece for the Wildcats. Kyle Wiltjer paced Gonzaga with 15 points, and Przemek Karnowski recorded a double-double of 10 points and 11 rebounds in a losing cause. A meeting between two of the top point guards in the country -- McConnell and Kevin Pangos -- manifested into a showcase of both programs balanced lineups. McConell was the hero in overtime but only assisted on two baskets and missed four of his seven free throw attempts. Pangos shot just 3-of-10 from the floor and totaled eight points with six assists. A pair of McConnell baskets opened the scoring in OT to give Arizona its first lead since it was 15-14. Pangos answered with a 3-pointer, but the senior guard turned it over the next time down. McConnell split a pair of trips at the foul line inside the final 20 seconds to set up a tense finish. Pangos narrowly missed a potential tying 3, and Wesley grabbed the offensive rebound, dribbled back to the top of the key and was fouled by Pitts. A tight first half saw six lead changes and three ties, and Pitts made an open 3-pointer in the final minute to send the teams into the break knotted at 27- all. The Bulldogs never trailed in the second half, but their largest lead was only six points. Wiltjers bucket off the offensive glass gave Gonzaga a 56-52 advantage, and two Johnson free throws followed by an Ashley bucket pulled Arizona within two with three minutes left in regulation. After Domantas Sabonis made two at the foul line, Ashley connected on back-to- back jumpers from the top of the key to even things at 60-60 heading into the final minute. McConnell stripped Pangos in the lane, but Gonzaga got the ball back when Johnson was whistled for traveling at the other end. Gary Bell, Jr. missed a contested layup, and after the rebound was knocked out of bounds, Wiltjer back-rimmed a corner 3-point try at the buzzer. Game Notes Arizona ousted Gonzaga, 84-61, in the NCAAs round-of-32 in March ... Sabonis had a string of 14 consecutive made field goals come to end on a missed runner 3:18 into the second half ... Both teams committed 13 turnovers. Preston Smith Super Bowl Jersey . Algeria led 3-0 at halftime, but withstood a stronger South Korean second half performance to claim its first World Cup win since 1982 and move into second place in Group H with one match left to play. Defeat for South Korea means it must now beat already-qualified Belgium to stand a chance of progressing to the knockout stages. Oren Burks Super Bowl Jersey . Johnny Manziel, college footballs most entertaining player with the reputation for pulling off magical plays, was selected with the No.One day after a public tongue-lashing from his head coach and a post-game meeting with the general manager, Ottawa Senators captain Jason Spezza was adamant that his teammates are all on the same page as their frustrated management group. Following a lopsided 5-2 loss against the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday night, Paul MacLean told reporters that "theres a lack of focus, theres a lack of leadership and theres a lack of preparation" with his struggling team. That came on the heels of Bryan Murray taking the unusual step of going into the locker room at the Prudential Center and addressing the players himself. "I think hes been disappointed all along. I think hes been disappointed with the group right from the onset of the season. I think it was just him letting us know that its not acceptable how were playing," Spezza said of Murrays meeting with the players. "Theres no ultimatums and theres no threats, but there is a definite understanding that if we dont start playing better, it could be you the one being out the door. It could be any one of us and when you dont win, thats what happens. We put ourselves in this situation and were the only ones who can get ourselves out of it. We understand thats part of the game." MacLeans pointed criticism of the leadership core had many wondering if there was a disconnect between the head coach and the captain. But heading into Thursdays game against the Florida Panthers, Spezza wanted to make it blatantly clear that he had no issues with MacLean. "No - our coaches are good coaches and weve always liked playing for them. Im sure theyre getting frustrated by us and that may lead to some of the frustration and some of their remarks," Spezza explained. "But we believe in what theyre preaching to us and Mac is a good hockey man and he understands. Were probably more frustrated than him as players out there playing. But he goes home and its frustrating for him to figure out why he cant get us to go." Spezza has become accustomed to being a lightning rod for criticism in this market, but this is his first season as captain of the hockey club. He insists he is not uncomfortable being the scapegoat on many nights this season. "Whenever youre not winning, you start looking at the top down. As being the captain, it gets reflected on me first and I have to find a way to get our group more consistent aand I have to find a way to get my own game consistent," said Spezza. Kyler Fackrell Super Bowl Jersey. "When things go wrong you look at the top down. And its always been that way in sports." When asked about his attack on the leadership group from the previous night, MacLean made sure to include himself in the group of people who need to improve. "For me, leadership is everyone. Its myself, its my coaching staff, my training staff and its every player in the room. Jason Spezza, Chris Phillips and Chris Neil are the representatives of the leadership of our team, but theyre not the only guys," MacLean said on Thursday. "Everyone is accountable and everyone has to provide leadership on a daily basis and we havent done that as a group. Theyre representatives of it, so they do most of the talking about it, but its not just them. Yes, they need to be better, but every one of us has to better." Spezza has yet to record a goal this month, a drought that has now extended to 12 games.  He has been a consistent offensive producer during his career, but has watched his numbers decline so far this season with 28 points in 35 games. The 30-year-old says he is making some adjustments to his game to try and be more of a two-way player, which could explain the decline in his offensive statistics. "Im trying to change my game. Im trying to play in more straight lines, Im trying to drive the net more and doing some things that take away from my offense a little bit," said Spezza. "We feel that in the long run its the best way to play and its the best way to help the team. The more comfortable I get playing that way, the better our team will be." For his part, MacLean acknowledges his captains adjustments, but still expects more. "For Jason, weve asked him to make changes to his game to a more complete game and a more 200-foot game," said MacLean. "And when you go through changes to your game, the offensive side of it a lot of the time suffers.  And I think hes starting to get through that. He created some opportunities last night and some previous games. Were seeing an improvement in it, but wed like to see it speed up a little more than it has. But its a process that takes time and we have to be willing to be patient with it. But at the same time, we need him to be better – especially in the power play situations." ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel