Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 18, 2020 11:31 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

thousands of people

LAWRENCE, Kan. Air Max 97 Store . -- The story that will accompany Andrew Wiggins first game at Kansas, an impromptu exhibition during coach Bill Selfs summer camp, has already taken on a decidedly Paul Bunyan-esque quality. Those who were in the gym last week, and the thousands of people who have seen video of the game, know the real story. But when is reality as much fun as folklore? And the play that Wiggins made in the first couple of minutes against current and former Jayhawks lends itself to a tall tale. Whats fact is that the top high school prospect in the country, the odds-on No. 1 pick in next years NBA draft -- the Canadian LeBron James, as hes been called -- found himself in the open court with the ball in his hands and only NBA centre Cole Aldrich standing in his way. From there, the folk-hero version goes like this: Wiggins elevated from beyond the 3-point arc, posed midair for a couple of photos, autographed the ball and then slammed it down. The truth: Aldrich stepped aside and watched as Wiggins effortlessly dunked it. Either way, the play was enough to send Jayhawks fans into a tizzy, light up Internet message boards and burnish the almost mythical aura that already accompanies the 6-foot-7 swingman. "I let loose of all my nerves," the rising star from Vaughan, Ont., said, "so I felt good after that dunk. I just let my game come to me. Thats what happened. Thats what the fans wanted to see." Theyll want to see plenty more of it this season. Wiggins is arguably the most talented player to arrive in Kansas since Danny Manning in the 80s, and Self wonders whether anybody has created as much hysteria since Wilt Chamberlain. He has prototypical NBA size and athletic ability, a game already far more advanced than his peers, and an uncanny ability to make the most difficult plays seem pedestrian. He also has the unmistakable swagger, modest though he may be, of a player who simply knows that hes good. Its little surprise that autograph seekers already have descended on Lawrence, hoping to snag Wiggins John Hancock on a ball or a photo four months before his first real game. "Its kind of weird to me because weve recruited other good players before, but weve never had anybody with this kind of attention," Self said. "I kind of feel for him. Hes going to have to be able to tell people no, and we have to make it easier for him." Good luck with that. There are only a handful of college basketball programs in the country that can rival Kansas for pure passion, not to mention history or success. There are five banners hanging in the end zone of Allen Fieldhouse to represent the Jayhawks national championships, and dozens more herald more modest triumphs such as conference titles. Students often camp out for days in advance of a big game, and the raucous environment is one of the most intimidating in college sports. It was the environment that in part helped convince Wiggins to pick Kansas over a list of suitors that included North Carolina and Kentucky, a couple more tradition-drenched blue bloods. "Everyone here is really loving, friendly, so its good," Wiggins said. "Im getting to know people. Theyve been showing me around, so Ive been comfortable." Wiggins comfort level could be critical to the Jayhawks success this season. They lost all five starters from last years team to graduation or the draft, and return just a couple of reserves who played meaningful minutes. Self restocked with a recruiting class that included five-star recruit Wayne Selden and several other high-profile targets, but the low-key announcement that Wiggins would be joining them stole every headline across the state. It also turned some heads in the Big 12. "He brings so much athleticism to any place he plays," said West Virginia coach Bob Huggins, who often saw Wiggins play just up the road from Morgantown at Huntington Prep last season. "When everybody says youre the best player in the country, youre obviously pretty good." Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger said Wiggins was "as advertised," while Texas coach Rick Barnes let slip that even as a ninth-grader the lanky forwards game resembled that of Kevin Durant. "Believe the hype. Hes that good a player, a special player," Barnes said. "I think it speaks volumes about our league with the kind of players weve had come in through the years. Hes another one. He is a terrific, terrific talent and a very, very special player." Evidently, rival coaches arent afraid to build upon Wiggins near-superhero status. Self has been busy trying to tamp down those out-of-this-world expectations, pointing out whenever possible that Wiggins is just a freshman. But while he argues that Wiggins is "going to go through ups and downs like everybody else" in one breath, he adds in the next that "hes as talented as any player in the country, because from a raw athletic ability standpoint, he can do some things that Ive never had a player be able to do physically." So far, Wiggins has handled the attention with aplomb. He refused to make his signing news conference into a televised event. Hes often said that he prefers to keep a close inner circle of friends and family -- his brother, Nick Wiggins, plays just down the road at Wichita State. And he comes off as unfailingly polite and quietly unassuming when a camera is stuck in his face, answering questions directly and succinctly. When asked whether all the expectations might be too much, Wiggins just shakes his head. "Its an experience I can enjoy," he said. "A lot of former players always say that college was their greatest basketball experience, all the fans and going to school and being on campus. Its just a great vibe. Thats what Im looking forward to." Nike Cortez Store . -- Jaye Marie Green shot a 4-under 68 on Thursday to increase her lead to five strokes after the second round of the LPGA Tours qualifying tournament. Air Max 270 Store . -- Linebacker Myles Jack ran for four touchdowns, defensive end Cassius Marsh caught a scoring pass, and No. http://www.cheapestairmaxstore.com/fake-air-max-tn-cheap.html .S. Open champion Justin Rose birdied the first hole with a blind shot he hit to a foot of the pin, and he stayed in front Tuesday until he completed a 4-under 67 for a two-shot lead over Jason Dufner in PGA Grand Slam of Golf. RIO DE JANEIRO -- Majlinda Kelmendi stood on the podium with a wide smile on her face.A gold medal hung around her neck, and not just any gold medal -- the first one ever for Kosovo. Kelmendi went to Rio with Kosovos first Olympic team, and she knew she had to deliver in the womens 52-kg judo competition to make sure her nation didnt go home empty-handed.I was really ready for this competition, Kelmendi said. It was the first time that Kosovo was in the Olympics. I wanted so badly to win.While so much attention is paid to the top of the medals table at the Olympics, where the athletic powerhouses like the United States and China practically need to charter another plane to bring home all the gold, silver and bronze they accumulate, there is an equally spirited competition at the bottom, where dozens of smaller countries hold out hopes of just getting their hands on one.Newspapers back home praised Kelmendis historic achievement Sunday. Hidilyn Diaz, whose weightlifting silver ended a 20-year medal drought for the Philippines, received a personal message of congratulations from President Rodrigo Duterte, who told her she brought honor to the country.They are not global stars on par with Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt. But to the success-starved countries they represent, they may be even more important.Coming into the Rio Games, more than 70 nations with National Olympic Committees had never won a medal of any kind. Others, like India, very rarely reach the podium. So they come to these Olympics with very few chances for glory, their collective focus pinned on one team, or one athlete, to break through.Fiji plays in the rugby semifinals Thursday in a sport that has returned to the Olympics after a 92-year absence.We need pressure. Island life is a nice, chilled and laid-back one so if we take things too easy the boys just drop off, said Fiji rugby coach Ben Ryan, who represents a country that has never won a medal of any color. We are embracing that pressure at the moment. The more the better. This is the strongest 12 Ive ever had. There are absolutely no excuses not too perform. Cheapest Air Max 270. India has won just two medals since 1964, including one for mens field hockey in Moscow in 1980. This years team is looking to restore the countrys standing as one of the worlds elite.Thats my life. Its a dream, captain Sreejesh Parattu said. If you look at the Indian history, it is a very prestigious thing for our country.And when they finally do make it happen, the emotions can be overwhelming. Diaz openly wept after winning the silver medal in the 58kg class of weightlifting. It was the countrys first medal in any sport since the Atlanta Games in 1996 and helped her overcome failures in Beijing and London.I have tried so hard. I have stumbled many times, Diaz said. I wanted to quit, but now all of my sacrifices have paid off.The Associated Press issued predictions prior to the beginning of the games for the medal winners in each competition. The Philippines didnt have an athlete listed, but Diaz came through. In return, shell receive nearly $53,000, per a law enacted in 2001 that rewards successful Olympians.Others predicted to medal win from nations that rarely reach the podium include Ghirmay Ghebreslassie from Eritrea in the mens marathon and Francine Niyonsaba of Burundi in the womens 800 meters. Both nations have just one medal in their histories.Thats the feeling so many others are chasing. They dont have vast financial resources to help pave their ways to gold. They also dont have dozens of other teammates with prime chances for the podium to reduce the pressure.Its all on them to deliver.For me the Olympic Games is all about winning, nothing else, said India mens field hockey coach Roelant Wouter Oltmans. Many years ago someone else said something different, its about participation. But nowadays in the modern Olympic Games its all about winning and thats also why I went to India and accepted the challenge when they offered me to see if there is any possibility to come close to the history of Indian hockey. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel