Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 10, 2020 6:49 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

yself that chance and I

Maui, HI (SportsNetwork. Andrew Knizner .com) - Patrick Reed poured in a 19-foot birdie putt on the first playoff hole Monday to defeat Jimmy Walker and win the Hyundai Tournament of Champions. Reed holed out for eagle on the 16th to grab a share of the lead at minus-21. He traded a bogey at 17 for a birdie at 18, and when Walker parred the final four holes, they were headed to a playoff tied at 21-under-par 292. I just stayed patient. That was the main thing all day, I just tried to stay patient and tried not get ahead of myself, tried not to make any careless errors, Reed said. Luckily, I was able to hole a wedge shot on 16 to kind of get the momentum, but unfortunately I missed another short putt (at 17). Here on the last, I gave myself that chance and I was lucky enough to make it. Reed closed with a 6-under 67, while Walker posted a 4-under 69. The pair returned to the tee on the par-5 18th on the Plantation Course at Kapalua Resort for the playoff. Reed found the right rough and hit a good second shot down the fairway. Walker landed in the short grass off the tee, but knocked his second into the grandstands. Reed chipped his third to 19 feet before Walker pitched his third over the green after taking a drop in the rough. Walker chipped to six feet, but never hit his par putt. Reed poured in his birdie try for his fourth PGA Tour title. Jason Day matched the course record as he fired an 11-under 62 in the final round. Day shared third place at minus-20 with Russell Henley (67) and Hideki Matsuyama (70). Sang-Moon Bae managed a 3-under 70 and he ended alone in sixth at 18-under-par 274. Last years champion Zach Johnson fired a 6-under 67 to end in seventh at minus-17. Brendon Todd (71) and Robert Streb (69) tied for eighth at 16-under- par 276. Chris Kirk also fired an 11-under 62 in the final round. Day and Kirk matched the course record that K.J. Choi set in 2003 and Graeme McDowell matched in 2011. Kirk ended in a share of 14th at 13-under 279. Reeds only two birdies on the front nine came at the fifth and ninth, the two par-5s. He made the turn at 17-under. The 24-year-old rolled in a 10-footer at the 10th, but was still four back as Walker also birdied the 10th to climb to 22-under. Reed 2-putted the par-5 15th to inch within two after Walker bogeyed 14. Reed holed an 80-yard wedge shot for eagle at 16 and that gave him a piece of the lead. However, he missed a short par effort at 17. Reed atoned for that error with a 2-putt birdie at 18. That gave Reed the clubhouse lead at minus-21. The confidence level is real high...it has been a great calendar year. At the same time, I have to work on my game and tighten up some things and continue moving forward, admitted Reed. Walker dropped in back-to-back birdies at the third and fourth to move two clear of the field at minus-19. After a trio of pars, he drained a 19-foot birdie try at eight. The three-time winner last season birdied the ninth and 10th to push his lead to three over Day and Matsuyama. Walker parred three holes in a row, and was no closer than 17 feet on those three. Walker found sand off the tee at 14, then hit his second shot over the green. He chipped to four feet, but missed the par-saving putt. At the par-5 15th, Walker missed a 7-foot birdie putt. He missed another birdie effort from eight feet out at 16. Walker closed with a pair of pars to force the playoff. I kept hitting good shots, but I couldnt go for the par-5 (15th) in two. I didnt have enough bat to get there into the wind. You know the bummer was the short par-4 (16). I laid it up in a bunker, hit it over the green and hit a great chip, but missed the putt, said Walker. I missed birdie putts and then 16 I should have made, then should have gotten a better look on 18 for sure. It was there for me to take and it just didnt happen. NOTES: Reed earned $1.14 million for the victory ... Reed joins Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy and Sergio Garcia as the only players in the last 20 years with four or more wins at age 24 or younger ... This was Reeds first come-from- behind victory ... Walker falls to 1-1 with the 54-hole lead, while the winner of this event has had at least a share of the third-round lead 23 of the 31 times the tournament was played ... Walker was hoping to join Johnson, Jim Furyk, Ernie Els and Vijay Singh as the fifth winner of the two PGA Tour events in Hawaii ... Walker is slated to defend his title next week at the Sony Open in Hawaii. Rangel Ravelo .During the week, McCoy told reporters he respected Hoyer for his intelligence, athleticism and how he conducts himself on and off the field. This wasnt an act, some attempt at psyching out Hoyer. Bobby Tolan . Donald Young lost in straight sets to Israels Dudi Sela 6-3, 6-0. Querrey, ranked No. 61, is the second-highest ranked American, ahead of Johnson (64). WASHINGTON -- Choosing rest for the playoffs over the pursuit of a top seed, Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra gave LeBron James and Chris Bosh the night off Monday against the Washington Wizards. Spoelstra said James was dealing with "the residual of a long season." "Just where we are right now, hes dealing with some minor ailments," Spoelstra said. "Nothing thats significant enough that will keep him out. Same thing with Chris. We made this decision and everyone else is ready to go. Everything is day by day." James has made a routine of sitting out the end of the regular season since joining the Heat. He missed the final game in 2011 and the last two games in both 2012 and 2013. The Heat have been competing with the Indiana Pacers for the No. 1 sseed in the Eastern Conference, but the Pacers trimmed their magic number to one with a win over Oklahoma City on Sunday. Matt Wieters. Miami could claim first place only with wins over Washington on Monday and Philadelphia on Wednesday, along with a loss by Indiana to Orlando on Wednesday. The Heat are expected to open their first-round playoff series at home this weekend. Spoelstra, as he has during the seasons homestretch, again downplayed the pursuit the top seed. "No matter whos playing, all we can do is focus on us," he said. The Heat were also without Greg Oden, who did not make the trip to D.C. because of a stomach virus. Dwyane Wade, who recently returned after missing nine games with a sore right hamstring, was listed in the starting lineup. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel