Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 7, 2020 9:04 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Kenyan flag.He is the fifth senior O

NAIROBI, Kenya -- A vice president of the Kenyan Olympic committee was arrested on suspicion of theft Monday, dragged out from under his bed by police as he hid in an apartment filled with boxes of brand new Nike running shoes and other apparel that was meant to be given to athletes for the Rio de Janeiro Games three months ago. Lane Thomas .The arrest came as it was alleged in a soon-to-be-published report by investigators that more than $800,000 set aside to pay for Kenyan athletes expenses at the Olympics -- and large amounts of equipment provided by team sponsor Nike -- was stolen by high-ranking sports officials.National Olympic Committee of Kenya vice president Ben Ekumbo, who is also head of the countrys swimming federation, was arrested at his home in Nairobi by officers of the Directorate of Criminal Investigation police unit. Ekumbo was found under his bed when officers forced their way in after he refused to let them in, Kenyan media reported.In Ekumbos apartment police found Kenyan Olympic team uniforms, tracksuits, kit bags in their original plastic packaging, and boxes of new and unused Nike running shoes specially designed in the colors of the Kenyan flag.He is the fifth senior Olympic committee official to be arrested in the investigation into missing money and equipment that was ordered by Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta following the Olympics in August.Four officials were arrested in September: Kenyas team leader at the Rio Olympics, Stephen Arap Soi, was charged with stealing over $250,000 that was meant to be used for athletes travel, accommodation and other expenses in Rio. Another vice president of the Olympic committee, Pius Ochieng, and secretary general Francis Kinyili Paul were charged with stealing Nike kit. They all denied the charges and are out on bail.The other official, committee treasurer Fridah Shiroya, had charges against her dropped and she is expected to be a state witness and testify against the others.Mondays arrest of Ekumbo, who was the deputy team leader under Arap Soi at the Olympics, follows revelations in their report that investigators believe as much as $860,000 meant for Kenyas Olympic team may have been misappropriated by officials at the Olympic committee and the sports ministry.The report also said that the Kenyan Olympic committee should account for the $1.2 million it received from Nike every year since 2013 because of suspicions that some or all of that money has also been misused.The investigators report has not been officially released but parts of it have been seen by The Associated Press.Kenyan sport, and specifically athletics, is in turmoil with the senior leadership of the track and field federation and now the Olympic committee facing allegations of major corruption.In a separate investigation by the IAAF, Athletics Kenyas vice president, chief executive, secretary general and former treasurer all face allegations of seeking bribes to suppress doping cases, while three of them are accused of embezzling $700,000 of their sponsorship money from Nike.Athletics Kenya President Isaiah Kiplagat was also suspended pending an investigation into the missing Nike money but he died in August.Kenyas Olympic committee was disbanded by the government in the wake of the Rio scandal. The International Olympic Committee, which does not allow governments to interfere in national Olympic bodies, demanded Kenya re-establish it or face being suspended. Albert Pujols . Traditional contenders Brazil, Greece and Turkey drew the other three spots to complete the 24-team field for this summers tournament in Spain, basketball governing body FIBA announced Saturday at its meeting in Barcelona. Paul DeJong . The injury bothered Bledsoe in the Suns victory over the Clippers on Monday and he sat out the teams home loss to Memphis on Thursday night. http://www.custommlbcardinalsjersey.com/custom-mike-mayers-jersey-large-951q.html . Speaking to the Chicago Tribune at baseballs Winter Meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, Boras called the former home of the Expos a "tremendous environment" for baseball. YAS MARINA, Abu Dhabi -- Sebastian Vettel thinks Red Bull will be vulnerable in the opening stages of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and hopes Ferrari can capitalise.Vettel qualified fifth, though there was less than 0.1s covering Daniel Ricciardo and Ferrari teammate Kimi Raikkonen in the two positions ahead. Ferraris drivers split the Red Bulls, who both progressed through Q2 with the super-soft tyre, meaning they will both start on a different compound to the Ferraris.The super-soft tyre should go longer than the ultra-soft but may have less grip off the line, something Vettel thinks Ferrari can use to its advantage to make sure both Red Bulls are behind in the early stages.When asked if Ferrari considered the super-soft tyre tactic in Q2, Vettel replied: We dont feel that is an advantage so it will be interesting to see what happens. It will make them a bit vulnerable in the first lap and maybe we can capitalise on that. For the race I think it should be close, we are usually a bit stronger on SSundays than Saturdays so the target is to aim for podiums tomorrow. Tony Cingrani. Vettel had topped FP3 earlier in the day and thinks Ferrari was too aggressive on its set-up between that session and qualifying, which takes place in the evening as the sun goes down.Speaking about a moment on his final lap when Max Verstappen went off the circuit ahead of him, he said: Yes, he went off and I saw some smoke and then I passed him, well I dont think he was in the way but I lost a little bit of rhythm and the last sector wasnt as tidy as it should have been, otherwise I think we would have gone to P3.The problem was more that in qualifying I was struggling to find the rhythm, I think we were a bit too aggressive and trying to anticipate the conditions tonight so I got caught out a little bit. It was coming towards us at the end but it was a shame qualifying didnt continue. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel