Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 4, 2020 11:07 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Kennys Vargas on a changeup

CHICAGO -- As the Chicago White Sox conclude a fourth straight losing season, a couple of 23-year-olds provided some optimism for the future Friday night. Custom 49ers Jersey China .Carlos Rodon tied an AL record by striking out the first seven batters and Tim Anderson finished a double shy of the cycle in a 7-3 victory over the Twins. It was Minnesotas 103rd loss, the most since the franchise moved from Washington in 1960.Rodon never gave them a chance.The lefty, the third overall pick in the 2014 draft, fanned Brian Dozier, Jorge Polanco and Robbie Grossman on sliders in the first. He got Miguel Sano on a fastball, Kennys Vargas on a changeup and saw Eduardo Escobar chase a slider in the dirt in the second.When John Ryan Murphy was caught looking at a 97 mph fastball to lead off the third, Rodon tied the AL record for strikeouts to start a game set by Joe Cowley of the White Sox on May 28, 1986, at Texas.Youve just got to throw strikes, go right at them, Rodon said.Logan Schafers ensuing double left Rodon one strikeout shy of the major league record to start a game shared by the Astros Jim Deshaies and the Mets Jacob deGrom.Rodons strikeout streak was 10 when figuring in the final three hitters he faced while fanning 11 in a victory Sunday at Cleveland. The last pitcher to strike out 10 in a row was Eric Gagne of the Dodgers over four games in May 2003.Tyler Duffey (9-12) gave up five runs in two-plus innings to ensure Minnesota wont have a 10-game winner in their miserable season.You kind of get what you deserve, Twins manager Paul Molitor said.Duffey gave up six hits while getting six outs. Omar Narvaez hit his first career homer in the fourth off Pat Dean as the White Sox built a 7-0 lead.Anderson, the 17th overall pick in 2013, finished a double shy of the cycle and irritated Duffey after hitting a two-run homer in the third inning.I mean he backpedaled out of the box. Stood there and enjoyed it, Duffey said. Its just one of those things. Its one thing to hit a homer. I gave up a 500-foot homer to Nelson Cruz and he jogs around the bases.Ryan ORourke threw behind Anderson in the eighth and both benches were warned. Anderson then grounded to third to end his chances at the cycle. He tripled and scored in the first and singled in the sixth.I wanted to hit a double. I did it in Double-A, Anderson said. When everything is clicking for you, I feel real great.Rodon (9-10) was dominant until a 31-pitch sixth inning when he gave up three runs -- two earned -- to end his night. He allowed three hits and three walks while striking out 10 in Chicagos sixth win in seven games.This was some electric stuff coming out, White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. He was up there at 98 (mph), but I think that slider, when he has that working, its a devastating two-strike pitch. He can get some swings and misses, thats for sure.TRAINERS ROOMTwins: 1B Joe Mauer (quadriceps) remained out. ... Molitor said veteran C Kurt Suzuki has taken a beating and wont catch again this season. Suzuki is in the last year of his contract. Its probably been as awkward a month for him as anybody in that clubhouse when youre potentially playing out into your free agency as a catcher in your early 30s, Molitor said.White Sox: Tests showed 2B Tyler Saladino has a herniated disk. He had an epidural Monday and doesnt believe hell need surgery. It was kind of crippling for a little bit, he said.RODONS RISERodon finished 7-2 in his last 10 starts. He struggled early in the season and went on the disabled list after spraining his left wrist slipping on the dugout steps.It was definitely the best stuff-wise of having it all -- fastball, slider, mix in a change, Ventura said. I think thats just a big confidence boost for him of getting to that point where he can do that.UP NEXTWhite Sox RHP James Shields (6-18, 5.82 ERA) closes a tough season Saturday night against Twins LHP Hector Santiago (12-10, 4.87). Norm Standlee Jersey . Listen to the game live on TSN Radio 1050 at 7pm et. The Raptors traded Rudy Gay, Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray to the Sacramento Kings on Monday, in exchange for Greivis Vasquez, John Salmons, Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes. Jimmy Garoppolo Jersey . The catch: It needs a lot of money, and it needs it fast. http://www.custom49ersjersey.com/custom-kwaun-williams-jersey-large-2998d.html . "I dont know that were close," said general manager Alex Anthopoulos. "I just think, right now, the acquisition cost just doesnt work for us right now. I dont know if I can quantify how far off or things like that that they might be but I would say we continue to have dialogue. PORTLAND, Ore. -- The matchup between the Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday night at the Moda Center features a duel between two of the better shooting guards in the NBA.Chicagos Jimmy Butler collected 37 points, nine assists, eight rebounds and three steals Saturday in a 116-105 win over the Washington Wizards.Portlands CJ McCollum scored 21 points to help the Trail Blazers defeat Denver 112-105 at home Sunday night.Butler is the first Bull to reach those figures since Scottie Pippen had 37, eight and eight in December 1995. The 2016 U.S. Olympian, who is averaging 24.3 points, is the first Bull who has scored at least 20 points with three steals in four straight games since Pippen (1994-95).I cant express how much easier it makes it on everyone else having someone like that on both sides of the floor, Chicago center Robin Lopez said.Over the past four games, Butler is averaging 29 points, seven rebounds, 5.3 rebounds and four steals and is a collective 42 for 46 at the line.Were putting the ball in his hands bringing the ball down the floor a lot more than we did a year ago, second-year Bulls coach Fred Holberg said. Last year, wed bring him off action to get him to the top of the floor. Now hes bringing it down and going to work. We want the ball in Jimmys hands because of his ability to draw contact.Butler is providing more vocal leadership, too, than ever before for the Bulls (6-4).The thing I love about him is how he has continued to talk and been a great leader with his voice this year, Holberg said.Said Butler: Its going to have to be me to lead the charge when it comes tto coming out with the right energy, making sure were doing everything were supposed to do at both ends. Solomon Thomas Jersey. Im definitely capable of doing that.McCollum also is on a scoring tear of late, with three 30-plus-point games in his past five games for the Blazers (7-4).CJ seems to have found his rhythm, Portland coach Terry Stotts said of the 2015-16 NBA Most Improved Player Award recipient. I go back to when everybody was so concerned about him in preseason. He has showed he is picking up where he left off last year.That was a breakout season for McCollum in his first year as a starter. He averaged 20.8 points while shooting 44.8 percent from the field, 41.7 percent from 3-point range and 82.7 percent from the free-throw line.So far this season, McCollum is boasting better numbers across the board -- a 22.1-point average while shooting 47.2 percent from the field, 43.1 percent on 3-point attempts and 85.7 percent from the line. He is also averaging 4.3 rebounds and 3.1 assists as a combo guard, since Stotts is employing him at the point when Damian Lillard is out of the game.I just want to do whatever it takes to get on the court, McCollum said. When Im playing alongside Dame, I get a lot of opportunities off the ball, a lot of shots in the flow of the offense. When I play (as point guard) with the second unit, Im trying to make the right decisions on the pick-and-roll, and when Dame comes back in, to get him off the ball some as well, because hes a unique scorer. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel