Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 26, 2020 7:55 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

the 158th-ranked American,

NEW YORK -- When CiCi Bellis was a little girl, she played her first US Open match in the girls junior tournament and loved it. Jakob Silfverberg Jersey .It did not matter that she lost in the third round. The thrill was the same as when she won a match here in the main draw at age 15 two years ago, according to her father, Gordon.The busier the better for the 158th-ranked American, who feasted on the New York buzz once again Wednesday, rallying against 49th-ranked American and French Open quarterfinalist Shelby Rogers in their second-round match, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2.I think it puts me in a different world, Bellis said of the connection she feels with fans. I feel like Im not even here. ... Its surreal to me. But its so amazing.After advancing to the third round, where she will play No. 2 seed Angelique Kerber, Bellis revealed that a group of young male fans -- I think theyre from Rhode Island -- who have followed her since the first of three qualifying matches here last week had a special request.One of them messaged me on Instagram and asked for tickets, and so I got them into my box today, she said of the group that calls itself Team CiCi.I guess were getting closer. Theyre a great group.Bellis and Rogers entered the new Grandstand Stadium court with the crowd still amped up from watching 120th-ranked American Ryan Harrison upset No. 5 seed Milos Raonic.But Bellis started slow and, after dropping the first set to Rogers, told herself she needed to move her feet better. Getting pumped up is how she described it, while attributing her energy to her growing legion of fans.When I get them involved -- I mean, the turning point of the match [was] when I started winning a couple points, started stringing a few together, got them involved -- that just kept pumping me up even more and made me play better, Bellis said.Gordon Bellis said he thanked tournament organizers for putting his daughter on Court 6 for her first-round match against Viktorija Golubic, the same small outside court on which she upset 12th-seeded Dominika Cibulkova in 2014.I said if it was serendipity, then that was the best court ever to start the first round on, Gordon said.And now CiCi has a new career highlight.It means so much more to me [than 2014], Bellis said. Getting through [these] two rounds was really, really big.Rogers, who had an extended timeout down 4-1 in the second set to have her right elbow examined and taped, called it a little bad luck. She said Bellis was simply more aggressive.I think she plays her best match every time shes on the court, Rogers said. She has no pressure; shes swinging for the fences; she genuinely loves the sport. And she has a blast when shes out there and has no fear. She has a bright future ahead of her.Both Gordon Bellis and his daughter said they have not yet determined whether she will turn pro, a decision that becomes a little more tantalizing with each victory.She knows what shed like to do, Gordon Bellis said. We always told her what wed like her to do. Ideally, she would have not been too good at an early age to go to college for a little bit. That would have been my chief druthers, but fate might not allow that.While it has not been determined yet where the Bellis-Kerber match will be played, there is a good possibility it will be on one of the two stadium courts.Rogers recalled playing her first match in Arthur Ashe Stadium last year, calling her third-round loss to Simona Halep the coolest experience Ive ever had.Its so much louder, so much bigger than you think its going to be, she said. I practiced there before, but that match setting is so much different. You just have to experience those things and learn how to deal with them. And the more you play, the better you get.Gordon Bellis said Ashe Stadium would be a different scenario than the intimate environs of the Grandstand or outside courts. CiCi, who has never played Kerber before, will simply have to wait and see if the tournament organizers put her in the 23,000-seat stadium.I think it would just be even better for me, she said. More fun for me. Josh Mahura Jersey . The catch: It needs a lot of money, and it needs it fast. Derek Grant Jersey . It is a cliché dragged out by fans and pundits regularly when discussions take place around which teams are better than others. https://www.cheapducks.com/557c-steve-rucchin-jersey-ducks.html . President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest was fired Friday after 12 years with the Marlins. The move came as the team neared the end of its third consecutive last-place season in the NL East. Kell Brook is on collision course with Errol Spence Jr. after deciding to stay at welterweight.The Briton contemplated stepping up to light-middleweight after jumping two weight divisions to challenge world middleweight No. 1 Gennady Golovkin in September.Brook (36-1, 25 KOs), 30, was stopped in five rounds by Golovkin but will remain IBF world welterweight champion after discussing his options with promoter Eddie Hearn.Brook is recovering from surgery on a broken eye socket, sustained against Golovkin, and must face unbeaten American Spence (21-0, 18 KOs), the mandatory challenger for his IBF belt in his next fight likely to be spring next year.I had a meeting with Eddie and told him I am not prepared to give up my title, said Brook.I know there are options at 154 pounds and I may even be more suited there but I am not willing to give up what I fought so hard for. I want the unification fights but if they arent there then it will be Spence next for me in a big UK shoow. Max Comtois Jersey. .Brook won the belt from Shawn Porter on points in 2014 and then had three low-profile stoppage defences before his biggest payday against Golovkin.The British boxer has also said he is interested in facing Filipino Manny Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 KOs), who reclaimed his WBO version of the world title last weekend, and there is big interest in the UK to see him fight compatriot and welterweight rival Amir Khan (31-4, 19 KOs).I spoke through various options with Kell and he was adamant that he would not relinquish his welterweight world title, said Hearn.In an ideal world, he would unify the division against Manny Pacquiao but the Spence fight is also one that really excites him and fight fans. That could be a big fight here in the UK and with the 75-25 split in place we would be very confident of bringing that fight to Sheffield. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel