Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 22, 2020 11:15 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

sports governing bodies.

NCAA president Mark Emmert says member schools might reconsider allowing college athletes who compete in the Olympics to accept payments for performance. Darnell Savage Jr. Super Bowl Jersey .The NCAA rules allow athletes to accept money for training from the U.S. Olympic Committee or similar organizations in other countries along with national sports governing bodies. Athletes can also keep bonuses given for winning medals. A gold medal was worth $25,000 for U.S. athletes in Rio. A silver paid $15,000 and a bronze $10,000.For some countries, the payments are much greater. Swimmer Joseph Schooling, who attends the University of Texas and competes for Singapore, received more than $750,000 for winning gold in the 100 butterfly.On Thursday, Emmert said during an interview with Aspen Institute that Schoolings amount was far more than what NCAA membership had in mind.To be perfectly honest, its caused everybody to say, Oh, well thats not really what we were thinking about, Emmert said. So I dont know where the members will go on that. Thats a little different than 15 grand for the silver medal for swimming for the US of A. So I think its going to stimulate a very interesting conversation.The NCAA has been OK with the USOCs bonus program since 2001. In 2015, it allowed for athletes to accept similar bonuses from other countries.The question is whether that person is still an amateur, Emmert said about the large bonuses. Because if they competed in South Africa and [got] paid $750,000 to play ball in South Africa, they would be declared a professional athlete and be not eligible for NCAA play. Thats the fundamental problem. Jason Spriggs Super Bowl Jersey . The 43-year-old closer, in his 19th and final big league season, has said hed like to play the outfield. Yankees manager Joe Girardi says hes thinking about allowing Rivera to do it this weekend, when the Yankees finish their season with a three-game series at the Houston Astros. Aaron Rodgers Super Bowl Jersey . Two pressure cooker bombs exploded near the finish line of the April 15 race in an area packed with fans cheering the passing runners. Three people were killed and more than 260 injured, including at least 16 who lost limbs. http://www.packersonlineteamstore.com/za-darius-smith-jersey.html . Varlamov made 33 saves and Ryan OReilly had a goal and scored in the shootout as the Avalanche beat the New Jersey Devils 2-1 on Thursday night. RENTON, Wash. -- Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson insists hell be ready to play against the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday.Wilson was a full participant in practice each of the past two days after suffering a sprained ankle in the third quarter of last weeks game against the Miami Dolphins.Ill be ready to roll, Wilson said on Thursday. Im excited about it.Wilson limped through the remainder of Seattles 12-10 victory over the Dolphins after having the outside of his right heel stepped on by defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.The impact twisted Wilsons ankle heavily and limited his ability to move throughout the remainder of the game.It definitely hurt. Thats for sure, Wilson said. My mentality was (I was) going to stay in the game and find a way for us to win this game.With his ankle limiting his ability to move in the pocket and scramble as usual, Wilson was still needed to drive 75 yards in just over four minutes to lead Seattle to victory. His 2-yard touchdown pass to Doug Baldwin with 31 seconds remaining gave Seattle the victory.I think really great performers find a way, coach Pete Carroll said. You dont have to be 100 percent all the time to operate at a really high level. Thats part of whats going on.Its the first time in Wilsons five seasons as quarterback that hes been listed on the teams injury report.Hes never missed a meaningful snap in 75 games -- postseason included -- because of an injury.While hes plaayed through a sore non-throwing shoulder before, the ankle injury was the first issue hes had as a professional to truly bring his availability into question. Mason Crosby Super Bowl Jersey. Right now were expecting him to be full-go, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said.I dont think he has any different thoughts than that. Hes amazing in his preparation. Hes probably not even sleeping with all the rehab that hes doing. I expect him to be ready to go.Wilson said Bevell isnt far from the truth regarding his sleep this week.I dont think Ive really slept more than six hours all week, he said. Probably slept two hours every night so far just trying to do everything I can to make sure Im at my best come Sunday.Wilson was initially in a walking boot after the game Sunday night.However, by Monday morning he was able to leave the boot behind and progress in the rehab process. Hes even brought his offseason mobility trainer, Drew Morcos, up to Seattle to help make sure hell be ready to play in Los Angeles.Thats what the doctors and trainers have all been saying is theyre kind of shocked its doing this well, Wilson said. Really not any swelling at all or anything like that because I got on it right away and have been hammering it right away.---Online:AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel