Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 18, 2020 9:14 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

games against No. 8 Gonzaga

Omaha is coming off its first victory over a Power 5 opponent in the modern era, a win at Iowa on Saturday, but the Mavericks are not overconfident knowing what is coming up next. Andrew Knizner .Omaha (4-4) travels across the Hawkeye state to play Monday in Ames against No. 25 Iowa State, which is hungry for a victory after losing consecutive games against No. 8 Gonzaga and 22nd-ranked Cincinnati.It was good to get one, but now weve got to focus back up, Omaha junior forward TreShawn Thurman told the Omaha World-Herald after the win over Iowa, the programs first victory over a Big Ten foe. Weve got a huge one Monday.Iowa States slide is its first two-game nonconference losing streak since defeats to UNLV and Cincinnati in the 2012 Global Sports Classic in Las Vegas.The Cyclones were in jeopardy of falling out of the AP Top 25 poll after 60 consecutive rankings, the third-longest active streak behind Kansas and Arizona.Im disappointed for the players, Iowa State coach Steve Prohm said after the 55-54 overtime loss to the visiting Bearcats on Saturday. I thought they really competed, and showed toughness and grit.I knew it would be a one-possession game.Iowa State (5-2) scored just three points in the final four minutes of regulation and two baskets in overtime. The loss snapped a 37-game winning streak against nonconference opponents at the Hilton Coliseum in Ames.Didnt make shots, said senior guard Monte Morris, who leads the Cyclones scoring 15.9 points a game. We just have to watch the film. We have to get better.It aint the end of the world. We lost by one.Omahas victory at Iowa was out of this world for coach Derrin Hansen and his fledging program in the Summit League. The Mavericks did not gain full postseason eligibility until last season after moving from Division II to Division I in 2011-12.Hansen is wary of the fact Iowa State is experienced -- one of four Division I teams that starts five seniors -- and eager turn things around against an opponent that will not come in under the radar after the upset of the Hawkeyes.It becomes different because were going to play a team that had a 37-game streak broke at home and they noticed us beating a cross-state rival, said Hansen, whose team will play its seventh road game of the season. Therell be no overlooking now. The game becomes different, not in our minds but in their minds. And thats probably the most important of the two.Omahas top scorer, guard Zach Jackson (13.1 points a game), led the Mavericks against Iowa with 21 points and eight rebounds, while Thurman added 17 points and nine rebounds. Senior point guard Tra-Deon Hollins had 12 points with 11 assists.Speculation around Iowa States program suggests the Cyclones could make a starting lineup change on the frontcourt against Omaha.Darrell Bowie, a 6-foot-8 senior reserve forward transfer from Northern Illinois, averaged 7.5 points and 6.3 rebounds in 22.8 minutes per game over the past four games. Senior forward Merrill Holden, a 6-8 transfer from Louisiana Tech, has started all seven games and is averaging 3.5 points and 2.3 rebounds in 17.3 minutes a game as a starter.Holden is the Cyclones tallest starter. The other four are no taller than 6-5. Tony Cingrani . Third-seeded Murray had the easiest path to victory on New Years Eve, barely breaking a sweat during his 6-0, 6-0 win over 2,129th-ranked Qatari wildcard recipient Mousa Shanan Zayed. Custom Cardinals T-shirts . The giant slalom world champion slipped during her first run in the morning, landing on her back and then twisting forward before getting her leg caught in the protective material on the side of the slope. http://www.custommlbcardinalsjersey.com/custom-tim-mccarver-jersey-large-601q.html . The Canadian squad, skipped by Jennifer Jones of Winnipeg, got on the board first with two in the second end, and followed that with two more apiece in the fourth and sixth ends. WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Jay Beagle was rewarded for not giving up on Tuesday night.The veteran Washington forward scored with 30 seconds left in the third period to lift the Capitals to a 3-2 victory over the Winnipeg Jets for their third straight win.Beagle scored the winning goal off a draw in the Winnipeg zone.I won the draw back and (defenseman John Carlson) whiffs on it, said Beagle, who had two assists in a weekend win over Calgary. I tried to whack at it and it hopped over my stick. I was pushing laterally and just tried to slide it through and it went in. It was one of those goals where if you keep whacking at it, eventually it goes in.Braden Holtby made 43 saves, Marcus Johansson had a goal and an assist, and Karl Alzner also scored for Washington, which has won six of nine this season (6-2-1). Evgeny Kuznetsov had two assists in the finale of the Capitals four-game trip to Canada.Mark Scheifele and Adam Lowry scored for the Jets, and Connor Hellebuyck finished with 24 saves.We played well tonight, Jets captain Blake Wheeler said. You take from it that all is not fair in this league and try to replicate that game on Thursday night.The teams conclude a home-and-home set at Washington on Thursday night.Holtby wasnt feeling too great about anything other than the two points.If (the Jets) had a little luck on their side, they probably would have came out on top in this one, and we know that, Holtby said. But we battled it out. Sometimes theyre not pretty.With the Capitals leading 2-0, Scheifele got the Jets on the scoreboard with his fifth of the season with just under 7 minutes remaining. With the teams playing 4-on-4, Scheifele took a rebound and fired a shot through a narrow opening between Holtby and the postfor his team-leading ninth point of the season.Lowry tied it with about 2 1/2 minutes to go with his first of the season. Winnipeg winger Joel Armia fought for the puck off the boards and passed it to Lowry, who went in front of Holtby and waited until he was sprawled on the ice to fire the puck into the net. Mike Shannon. Obviously, were happy we came back in it, but at the end of the day we still didnt finish it off, Scheifele said. I think there are a lot of guys that are happy with the way that we played. We played good throughout the whole game. Putting up over 45 shots or whatever we had against a team like that is big for us. Its definitely tough to lose a game when you come back like that.Alzner scored his second goal of the season with 44 seconds left in the first period. His shot from the point appeared to change direction through traffic and went over Hellebuycks glove. It gave the Capitals the first goal for the eighth time in nine games this season.Winnipeg forward Shawn Matthias suffered a lower-body injury in the first period and didnt return.Johansson made it 2-0 at 8:15 of the second after a Jets turnover in the neutral zone. Kuznetsov got the puck and went behind the net before feeding a pass to Johansson, whose shot from close in front went under Hellebuyck.I gave it to (Kuznetsov) and he pretty much did everything and he gave it right back to me in front of the net, Johannson said. I got lucky it went in. I mean, (the puck) was laying on top of (Hellebuycks) pad. I kind of missed a half-open net at first, but sometimes its just going your way a little bit. Its good to see it go in.Game notes Johanssons sixth goal of the season was his fifth in three games and gave him a team-leading 11 points. ... Even before Matthias went out, Winnipeg was without injured veteran D Tyler Myers and F Drew Stafford.UP NEXTCapitals: Host Winnipeg on Thursday night to open a three-game homestand.Jets: At Washington on Thursday night in the opener of a three-game road trip. ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel