Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 9, 2020 8:15 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

I’m on the record as a BYU homer and Kai

With 36 days left until the Panthers season opener Greg Olsen Jersey , let’s check in with No. 36 Kai Nacua and one CSR writer’s ridiculous bias toward former BYU players." />Skip to main contentclockmenumore-arrownoyesCat Scratch Reader homepageHorizontal - WhiteCat Scratch Readera Carolina Panthers communityFollow Cat Scratch Reader online:Follow Cat Scratch Reader on TwitterFollow Cat Scratch Reader on FacebookLog in or sign upLog InSign UpSite searchSearchSearchCat Scratch Reader main menuFanpostsFanshotsSectionsAboutPanthersOddsShopStubHubMoreAll 321 blogs on Horizontal - WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections Keep Sounding PodcastPanthers 2019 Training CampCSR Film RoomPanthers 2019 season opener countdown: 36 days to goNew,11commentsWith 36 days left until the Panthers season opener, let’s check in with No. 36 Kai Nacua and one CSR writer’s ridiculous bias toward former BYU players.EDTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:Panthers 2019 season opener countdown: 36 days to goTwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmailPhoto by Dannie Walls/Icon Sportswire via Getty ImagesThe No. 36 is currently worn by Carolina Panthers safety Kai Nacua. Here’s a look at his potential contribution in Carolina for the 2019 season.Kai Nacua, SafetyBioHeight: 6’0”Weight: 205 lbsAge: 24 yearsCollege: BYUExperience: 2 yearsFull disclosure - I’m on the record as a BYU homer and Kai Nacua is a former Cougar. I don’t want to blow Nacua’s profile out of proportion here, but if given the right opportunity his career could turn out to be on par with Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed. (Did I mention I’m a BYU homer?)For the last couple of years I’ve written a pre-draft column here at CSR where I implore the Panthers to draft former BYU players. Back in 2017 I highlighted Kai Nacua as a potential pick in Rounds 6-7 but Carolina and every other team passed on him at the draft. Nacua was ultimately signed as an undrafted free agent by the Cleveland Browns in 2017. He not only made the Browns 53-man roster that year he but went on to play 214 defensive snaps and 139 more on special teams, registering 14 total tackles. Not bad for a UDFA. Despite getting some playing time as a rookie Fozzy Whittaker Color Rush Jersey , Cleveland released Nacua after 2017. Kai was signed to the Baltimore Ravens practice squad in September 2018 and released just four weeks later. He was then signed to the Panthers practice squad in Week 14 last year and was brought back in 2019 to compete for a roster spot at safety, a position of critical need for the Panthers. Folks, I know I’m biased, but I’m pulling for Nacua. He was a stud at BYU. He was always in the right place at the right time and came up with a bunch of game-changing plays. Here’s what I said in his profile before the 2017 draft: The Panthers are very, very thin at safety. If Carolina is looking for a 24-year-old future Hall of Famer roaming the secondary (adjusts rose-colored glasses), look no further than Kai Nacua! The 2019 preseason is over and the regular season is just around the corner. The Panthers have debuted a brand new defensive scheme Rashaan Gaulden Jersey , held an ‘open’ competition for their highly relevant back up quarterback position, and developing interest in a new kicker. As preseasons go, this year has been eventful.The backup quarterback job has not been as pitched as we were led to believe. Kyle Allen came into the preseason with a clear inside lane on that number two job. That was made clear by last night’s game when he played one series and surrendered the rest of the game to Will Grier and Taylor Heinicke. Grier has an obvious claim to the third and final possible roster spot for the regular season as a third round draft pick from this year. That leaves Heinicke as the odd man out just a year after he won the back up job in camp.We won’t call him or anyone else a loser tonight. The fourth preseason game is a slog fought for a very small number of jobs that often has more to do with team needs than individual effort. Heinicke was statistically, and often just actually, the best quarterback in the preseason but he is going to be the odd man out in Carolina. Quin Blanding had a solid preseason but got hurt; that is enough to probably bounce him out of any consideration on cut day tomorrow. These guys aren’t losers, so tonight we are going to talk about the three winners and Will Grier.WinnersMarquis Haynes: This guy has been an underrated force all preseason. The Panthers switch to a 3-4 defense couldn’t have come at a better time for the second year edge rusher. He logged two sacks Thomas Davis Color Rush Jersey , a tackle for loss, and three quarterback hits in last night’s game alone. Translated to regular season math, that is basically a whole sack. Depth players often contribute far less in an average game.Efe Obada: Obada’s preseason has not been as statistically eye opening as Haynes’, but he has been the star of a number of effort highlights this year. Playing everywhere from an outside linebacker in a pass rushing capacity to a defensive end in some of the Panthers 3-4 looks, Obada has been the first name off everyone’s lips as most improved defensive players from 2018. Obada was often seen as an edge of roster player who might not even make it to his Week 6 home game in London. That worry seems to be in the distant past now as Obada seems to be a staple facet of the Panthers front seven.Joey Slye: An all but perfect kicker in the preseason often translates for other teams to a job as their kicker in the regular season. Slye’s ‘but’ in this scenario was a blocked 48 yarder that came when the Steelers got significant penetration against Slye’s protection. The ‘often’ in this scenario is a reference to the baffling decision by this team to ultimately waive the talented, young Harrison Butker in lieu of the technically extant Graham Gano. The difference this year might be Gano’s mysteriously lingering injury. The team hoped he would be able to kick the rust off of his leg last night https://www.carolinapanthersfanshop.com/Cameron-Artis-Payne-Jersey , but now reports have the teamconsidering placing him on injured reserve.Slye is an absolute winner of this preseason because, even if Gano pops up healthy as a lamb tomorrow, he has probably earned a shot with another kicker-needy team such as the Chicago Bears. Don’t be surprised to see him on the Panthers 53-man roster on Sunday. Just keep your fingers crossed that he is the only kicker there, if so.Will GrierWill Grier:the roller coaster of quality and talent in the NFL preseason has never been more accurately described than by Grier’s performances this year. Rivera has put a lot of Grier’s struggles down to his splitting reps through training camp and practices three ways with Heinicke and Allen. It’s hard to develop when you don’t get the time to do so.Grier flashed enough talent around his struggles this preseason to show why the Panthers drafted him in the third round. He also flashed enough ‘what are you doing?!’ moments to prove he is not ready to be one snap away from prime time. He could be the quarterback of the (distant) future and he could easily be the no-worries back up of the future. For now, he’s solidly entrenched as QB3 and showing just the amount of upside you want to see from that position given the limits of a 53-man roster.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel