Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 23, 2018 7:17 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

The 40-year-old Solskjaer was hired

CARDIFF -- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was the ultimate super-sub in his 11 years at Manchester United, his lethal finishing snatching priceless league points and famously winning his team the Champions League in 1999. Mike Hughes Jersey . Now, he is back in the Premier League and on a very different kind of rescue mission -- saving Cardiff from relegation. The 40-year-old Solskjaer was hired as Cardiffs new manager on Thursday, swapping job security at Molde and a settled family life in his native Norway for the high-pressure world of footballs richest league. "I felt I needed to be back here," Solskjaer said of his return to the Premier League. "I wish I was 25 again and playing in the Premier League," he added. "Time ticks for everyone so I cant -- now Im a lucky man to be a manager in the Premier League." Nicknamed the "Baby-faced Assassin" during his time at United from 1996-2007, it was a grey-haired Solskjaer who was presented at Cardiff City Stadium as the replacement for Malky Mackay, who was fired last week after losing a power struggle with the Welsh clubs Malaysian owner, Vincent Tan. Solskjaer has signed a rolling, season-by-season contract, with his first task to ensure Cardiff retains its Premier League status following its return to Englands top flight for the first time in 51 years. Cardiff is 17th in the 20-team Premier League -- a point and a place above the relegation zone after 20 games. If he achieves that, his next aim will be to establish the team from the Welsh capital as a force in the division. And he is pledging to do so by playing an attacking brand of football modeled on the sides of Alex Ferguson, who was his manager at United in that trophy-laden decade when Solskjaer won six league titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League. Naturally, Solskjaer spoke to Ferguson before accepting the job at Cardiff, which is increasingly perceived in Britain as a tough role because of Tans reported meddling in team affairs. "When theres a big decision to make, you rely on certain people you trust," Solskjaer said. "I trusted him with my football career, to manage my career, and I trust him now as well." Solskjaers career, which reached its peak when he diverted home Uniteds injury-time winner in a 2-1 victory over Bayern Munich in that most dramatic of Champions League finals, ended in 2007 after he failed to recover from a serious knee injury. He remained at United in a coaching and ambassadorial role, however, and went on to become the clubs reserve-team manager. He coached Molde -- his former club -- from 2011, winning back-to-back titles in his first two seasons and then the Norwegian Cup in his third. Solskjaer was always tipped to make a return to the Premier League sooner rather than later, and was linked with vacant roles at Aston Villa and Blackburn only to stay in Norway for family reasons. He was immediately installed as favourite to succeed Mackay after the Scot was fired on Friday and held talks with Tan and chairman Mehmet Dalman at Arsenals Emirates Stadium on Wednesday before the teams match against the Premier League leaders. Dalman said Solskjaers name was the "only one name in my head from the very beginning." "He is coming here to prove something to himself and to Cardiff," Dalman said. "I had no doubts from day one, so I do feel like the cat that got the cream." Working under Tan may prove to be challenging, with Mackay barely communicating with his owner by the end of his time in charge. Since buying Cardiff in 2010, Tan has alienated some supporters by changing the clubs colours from blue to red, adopting a new crest and then removing Mackay, who had guided the team to a League Cup final in 2012 and the Premier League a year later. "When I went to Manchester United, it was a new experience for me; when I went back to Molde with the English influence I had, that was a cultural difference for people back in Norway," Solskjaer said. "Now when I come here, I want to create a culture here too. The communication between me and Mehmet and me and the owner will be crucial. Communication and dialogue is the key in any organization." Solskjaers first game in charge is against Newcastle in the third round of the FA Cup on Saturday. He will return to Old Trafford on Jan. 28 for a league match against United. Mackensie Alexander Jersey . Louis Cardinals. He was 48. The commissioners office said Bell died in his home state of Ohio. Bell had not been feeling well over the weekend and had been scheduled to see doctors later Monday at the Cleveland Clinic. David Morgan II Jersey . The 24-year-old right winger has one assist in nine games this season with the Sabres. In his career, he has three goals and six assists in 43 NHL games. We have a quarterback. Now we need to protect him. Last week the voters selected Ken Ploen as the quarterback of the Free Press/TSN 1290 All-Time Bombers Team. This week its your turn to select an offensive lineman for the team. Bud Grant and our panel have had their say. Now you get to weigh in. Were presenting a position each week over a nine-week perior with our panels choices of the top-five Winnipeg Blue Bombers to ever play for the club at that spot.  Cast your vote at http://alltimebombers.winnipegfreepress.com On Friday afternoons at 4 p.m., live on TSN 1290s Hustler and Lawless program, the Free Press and TSN 1290 websites, as well as the Saturday edition of the Winnipeg Free Press, well announce the winner and member of the All-Time Bombers Team. The Free Press print and digital editions as well as www.tsn1290.ca will run stories every Monday putting forth the position of the week and finalists selected by our panel. Voting will take place on both websites. Legendary Blue Bombers player and coach Bud Grant headlines our panel. Grant was joined by former Bombers player and GM Paul Robson, Canadian Football Hall of Fame inductee and Free Press sports reporter Ed Tait, Free Press columnist and TSN 1290 host Gary Lawless and TSN 1290s Andrew “Hustler” Paterson. Panelists were provided a statistical breakdown of the Bombers dating back to the 1950s as well as an anecdotal package of the early Bombers teams when statistics were not recorded. Each panelist brought a unique perspective and personal set of criteria. Grant joined the group via conference call from a cabin in the Wisconsin woods while the rest huddled around a boardroom table at the Free Press. From Grants gravelly voice emanating out of the telephone speaker, to Taits vivid recollections of games and players, to Robsons cold analysis of a players strengths and weaknesses, to Patersoons views from the upper decks of our stadiums, there were strong opinions all around. Trae Waynes Jersey. Some players were quickly selected. Others were hotly debated. Sometimes it came down to a clash of eras. Others made it on the merit of championship wins while those without rings on their fingers were often set aside. Vote a maximum of once per day and help choose the Blue Bombers player you consider the best at the following positions to be presented in this order: Quarterback, offensive lineman, linebacker, kicker, kick returner, running back, defensive lineman, defensive back and receiver. Weve done our part. The final decisions are up to you. So vote and vote often. Youre the GM of this team. Make your choices. CHRIS WALBY* 1981-96 A nine-time All-Canadian, Walby is arguably the greatest offensive lineman in CFL history. A hometown product, ‘Bluto brought a fiery intensity to the trenches and a levity to the locker room. Was twice named the leagues top O-lineman, in 1987 and 1993. BUDDY TINSLEY* 1950-60 Originally drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles, Tinsley came north in 1950 and served as a Bomber captain during their glory days. Was a CFL West All-Star seven times playing both sides of the ball. CORNEL PIPER ? 1957-67 A graduate of the Winnipeg Rods, Piper was recently endorsed by no less an authority than Bud Grant. Helped anchor the Bomber O-line for years, winning four championships. FRANK RIGNEY* 1958-67 A teammate of Ken Ploen at the University of Iowa, Rigney was a seven-time CFL West All-star, the leagues top lineman in 1961 and a four-time Grey Cup champion. JOHN BONK* 1973-85 Began his career as a linebacker before a switch to O-line. Dominant as a centre and long-snapper, Bonk was a CFL All-Star four times and was named the leagues top lineman in 1984. Played in 202 consecutive games before a neck injury. Jerseys NFL China Cheap Adidas NHL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys From China Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale China Jerseys NFL Jerseys China Discount Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China China NCAA Jerseys Cheap Cheap Nike Dolphins Jerseys Cheap Nike Patriots JerseysCheap Nike Jets Jerseys Cheap Nike Bengals Jerseys Cheap Nike Browns Jerseys Cheap Nike Steelers Jerseys Cheap Nike Texans Jerseys Cheap Nike Colts Jerseys Cheap Nike Jaguars Jerseys Cheap Nike Titans Jerseys Cheap Nike Broncos Jerseys ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel