Xchange (Forums) Xchange (Forums) Art/Creativity
  • Topic: their fourth straight series win.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 18, 2019 2:22 PM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

their fourth straight series win.

BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Orioles have been playing baseball since 1954, and never before had they won a game when the lone run came on a leadoff homer. Sony Michel Jersey . Until Sunday. Chris Tillman pitched seven innings of three-hit ball in a duel with Hisashi Iwakuma, Nick Markakis homered and Baltimore beat the Seattle Mariners 1-0 for their fourth straight series win. Early on, it was apparent that runs were going to be tough to come by. Orioles manager Buck Showalter assumed as much, as evidenced by his conversation with head trainer Richie Bancells. "I was telling Richie about the fourth inning, I said, You know, Ive never had a leadoff home run and won the game. But todays going to be the first, hopefully," Showalter said. "Not that I didnt have any confidence in us scoring another run." It never happened. Tillman and Iwakuma were that good. "The first home run, the first hitter in the first inning, cost me the whole game," Iwakuma said through an interpreter. "When (you) look at it at the end, its tough like that." The Mariners had never lost 1-0 when the only run came on a leadoff homer. It was only the ninth time in franchise history they dropped a 1-0 game in which the only run was a home run. Tillman (8-5) struck out six and walked none to earn his first win since June 27. A second-round draft pick by Seattle in 2006, Tillman is 6-0 in six career starts against the Mariners. Newcomer Andrew Miller worked a perfect eighth and Zach Britton got three outs for his 23rd save. Iwakuma (9-6) allowed one run, five hits and two walks in 7 2-3 innings. He struck out seven. "One pitch in his first seven pitches," Seattle catcher Mike Zunino lamented. "Other than that, I thought he was excellent." Iwakuma lost on the road for the first time in 15 starts since July 4, 2013. He was 9-0 over that span. The right-handers most glaring error came against Markakis, who hit a shot to right on a 3-2 pitch. Markakis had three hits and now has 1,501 for his career. He came within a triple of hitting for the cycle. "I hope everybody understands what were watching here," Showalter said. "We talk about some of those guys through the years that were solid Orioles, youve got to mention his name, hopefully for many years. The victory was the ninth in 13 games for the AL East-leading Orioles, who won the season series from Seattle 5-2. Seattle put runners on the corners with one out in the second before Tillman struck out Zunino and Brad Miller. That began a run of 14 straight outs by Tillman, a streak that ended when Kendrys Morales singled leading off the seventh. Kyle Seager then hit into a 4-6-3 double play. TRAINING ROOM Mariners: RF Michael Saunders (left oblique strain) had a light day with no hitting Sunday to get some rest. He will begin throwing in the outfield this week. Orioles: Ubaldo Jimenez (sprained right ankle) was scheduled to pitch for Triple-A Norfolk on Sunday night, his final rehabilitative assignment. He will join the team in Washington on Monday and travel with the squad to Toronto. ON DECK Mariners: After getting Monday off, Seattle sends Felix Hernandez (11-3) to the mound Tuesday at home against Atlanta. Orioles: Baltimore takes a short trip south Monday for a makeup game against the Nationals. Rookie Kevin Gausman faces Washingtons Tanner Roark. NO Offence The Orioles have scored only six runs in their last four games, but are 2-2 in that span. Nelson Cruz, who was 1 for 28 since hitting his 28th homer on July 25, was kept out of the lineup Sunday. Although the bats have been quiet, Showalter remains hopeful. "As many times as we come here after a game knowing the offence picked up the pitching, its kind of evened out," he said. "If we can get both going -- as every team tries to do -- it would be a little more fun. I had fun today watching good pitchers pitch. If Id have known how it was going to end I could enjoy it a lot more, Ill tell you that." Stephon Gilmore Youth Jersey .com) - Ben Lovejoy tallied a goal and an assist as the Anaheim Ducks cruised into the All-Star break with a 6-3 victory against the Calgary Flames. Drew Bledsoe Youth Jersey . The roster changes have been constant and continuous since late last year, but even with their 46-man roster set for the start of the season, the banged-up Bombers will be kicking off Week 1 with a handful of fresh faces and back-ups in the starting lineup. INDIANAPOLIS -- Sunday was just another typical day for Adam Vinatieri. He became the seventh NFL player to score 2,000 points and then passed an NFL Hall of Famer and an old friend to move into fifth on the career list. Yes, the best clutch kicker in league history lived up to his title against Jacksonville, making all three field goals and all three extra points to lead Indianapolis past Jacksonville 30-10. Vinatieri finished the season with 2,006 points. "Before the season I saw that 2,000 points lingering out there, but I didnt really think about it or look at it too much until right here at the end," he said. "Thats a selfish goal, obviously, to get to 2,000, but its a neat thing. There havent been a lot of guys to do it." Vinatieri can now consider himself one of the lucky ones. He joined the club with a 26-yard field goal as time expired in the first half, then passed George Blanda (2,002 points) with an extra point in the third quarter. He passed Stover, who replaced the injured Vinatieri during Indys 2009 AFC championship run, with 39-yard field goal midway through the third quarter. Stover finished his career with 2,004 points. And at age 41, the soon-to-be free agent who most of this season as the oldest player in the league has shown no indication of slowing down. With three more field goals Sunday, Vinatieri extended his career high from 32 to 35. His percentage of made field goals (87.5) was the fifth-best of his 18-year career and he finished 2013 with 139 points, the second most of his career. Yes, Vinatieri would like to come back to the Colts and from the sound off it, theyd like to have him back. Irving Fryar Jersey. "That guy is a warrior. He had a birthday this week. I wont tell you how old he turned. He wont tell you, but I know hes the ageless wonder," coach Chuck Pagano said. "Hes just a tremendous, tremendous player. Just a great human being and a great teammate." Vinatieri made it look easy. After his milestone field goal at the end of the first half, he traded fist bumps with several players and hugged long snapper Matt Overton. He didnt flinch again until the fourth quarter when the big board notified fans that Vinatieri had passed Stover for No. 5. While the crowd roared, Vinatieri simply tipped his baseball cap to the crowd. Perhaps theres a reason for his subdued celebration: Hes been here before. Vinatieri is the only kicker in league history to win four Super Bowl rings, to play in five Super Bowls and be part of six conference championships and hell get another shot starting next week when the AFC South champs open the playoffs at home. His 16 100-point seasons are tied for the most in league history with Jason Elam, and Vinatieri and Morten Andersen also are the only NFL players to top 800 points with two teams. But for Vinatieri, this was just one piece to a much bigger puzzle. "Were building confidence, and guys have a lot of trust in each other knowing that guys are going to make plays," Vinatieri said. "Thats kind of what you want to do when you are going into the playoffs. You want to be climbing. You want to be on all cylinders, and I feel like thats what we are doing right now." ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel